Live centre tailstock chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige52

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a UK stockist that sells live centre tailstock chucks?
I already have 2 decent tailstock chucks, a 13mm and a keyless 16mm, both M2....but I'm looking for a 13mm live center one. I do some small delicate jobs where the tail end needs to be supported, preferably by a chuck which turns with the headstock chuck....

I've not seen such an item and without more info I'm taking as read your considered rolling or string steady devices and dismissed them.

You can get adaptors for the oneway (and I guess similar) live centres that mimic the headstock thread allowing a small woodturning chuck (or anything else for that matter!) to be fitted but that is starting to get expensive as I think their centres are £100+ and depending how 'delicate' you mean, inertia could be an issue for you of such an arrangement.

If I had the problem (and the design of the piece allowed), I'd turn a scarificial (say 10mm) spigot on the end and then make a little jam chuck to go over the live centre I currently have (mine has a parallel live length before the point which would ensure alignment).

Interested to see what others suggest as I'm sure someone has already solved this!

Simon

Good news.

Out of interest, what diameter is the smallest diameter? Do you have either variable speed or a soft start as I guess there is a risk that one end starts spinning and the other doesn't!

S

SVB, I have an Axminster Variable speed set on the slow belt, it doesn't start with a jerk so I'm hoping it will be ok :)

Back