Line Drawing Validity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I get my scroll saw soon and, can't wait, but there's a question bugging me over the copyright on line drawings that I've downloaded off the web.

I've always used the search parameter "free line drawings" expecting to see images that could be used in any way, yet there are Disney character images on there. I would have thought these were heavily copyrited.

Is there a fail safe way of ensuring that there's no copyrite issues on images on the web? (I can't draw freehand for toffee's and don't want to end up in the nick)

If you down load a drawing and then modify it, does it then become 'your' drawing?

Gary

Please be very careful when it comes to using patterns or adapting drawings that are not completely your own work. You must have documented permission from the creator of the source material if you are to use either that material or a derivative, even if the creator does not specifically claim copyright to the original. Copyright holders do actively seek out breaches of their copyright and will take legal action. The repercussions of the Jeff Zaffino case are still being felt by the international scroll saw community. Although the profit he made by deriving patterns from other artists' original works was not great, the legal costs and damages awarded against him were. What is more, the plaintiff against Zaffino was not an international corporation such as Disney (which is ferociously protective of its intellectual property) but an individual artist.

Some magazines publish scroll saw patterns or books with scroll saw patterns and these often have riders with regard to the number of copies of the pattern that can be made or if items manufactured from them can be retailed. Unfortunately, the only way to be certain about how merry you can make with such patterns is to read the terms and conditions of use very carefully. Furthermore, there are often tight restrictions on how freely the copyrighted material can be exchanged, so be very careful if anyone suggests swapping patterns.

Generally speaking, any image which is certified as being 'open source' or 'in the public domain' is copyright free. So are images whose originator has been dead for 70 years. Some museums and galleries claim copyright to photographs of such images which they publish in magazines or on the internet because they say the photograph can be copyrighted, but I believe that is not yet settled law.

I wish I could give you much less cautious advice but this is an area of law which is fraught with hazards. If you wish to investigate the technicalities of the law in greater depth, there are tediously lengthy debates on other (mostly American) scroll saw forums but the rule of thumb is that if the pattern isn't all your own work then you will be very likely to be in breach of copyright if you publish or distribute it.

Gary Morris":1bcl2izu said:
I've always used the search parameter "free line drawings" expecting to see images that could be used in any way,...

Certainly not - the quirks of a google search most certainly do NOT form any kind of legal certification.

Artists even talk of a "free line" (stylistic jargon), which would confuse your search greatly.

BugBear

Thanks Gill, Bugbear it certainly sounds a mine field. I guess I'll have to learn to draw, at least it will give people a laugh:)

thanks
Gary

Hi Gary I subscribe to Creative Woodworks &Crafts which you get free patterns (Full Size) with every issue,also I pay for patterns £3/£4 from two designers.One www.sheilalandrydesigns.com also Sue Mey ay www.scrollsawartist.com both of which do give away free patterns from time to time.If I put a project on this site I give the name of the designer credit for their design.I hope that you find this of help,and look forward to seeing your projects on the site.

Bryan

I CAN NOT DRAW , !!!! . I have never sold anything that I have made by turning or scrolling. anything I have copied has been from Steve Good or something that has been posted on here by members .But there the resemblance ends you would find it hard to match mine with anything . would I be in trouble for attempting to follow these patterns . If I were accused of copyright I think I would challenge anyone to copy exactly what I produced or prove it was what they had drawn .

Gill , I have been reading the copyright laws and the cases brought against people and it is serious if not over the top at times . I would imagine that I am quite safe at the moment :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:

Am I right in assuming that copyright becomes an issue only if you intend to publish (including on a website) or sell the image?

If it is for your own use its not an issue?

I wouldn't be comfortable assuming anything about copyright law!

:lol:

It can be difficult to prove what your intentions are when you breach copyright and that's an open door for intellectual property lawyers. You may say that what you are doing is for your personal use only but the lawyers will do everything they can to squeeze money out of you if they catch you doing it.

Look on deviantart.com (no, it's not that kind of deviant) which is a huge uploading platform for artists of every imaginable variety.
All of the images on here have their own Creative Commons licence, detailing what the artist will and won't allow you to do with their work. You can search for images that you're free to use.

In fact I recommend every and anyone that's creative have a look on there. Amazing work to inspire us.

Really glad if it helps. Deviant art has opened my eyes to some astounding artists, and whole styles of art that I'd never seen.
I hope it gives you a bit of inspiration and some useable images.
If you create an account, you can even contact artists to ask if you could use their work, even if it's not got the right commons licence.

I contacted Sue Mey direct for permission to reproduce and sell her excellent designs and she kindly replied that it was ok to sell finished products.
If in doubt ask for written approval from designer before entering copyright minefield and giving yourself any issues.
Hope this helps
M

Back