Lifting and sliding TV unit door - help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a low corner unit to contain a DVD/VCR/HDD recorder and TV stand, which will wrap around a corner. Because most of our recording is on the HDD recorder, it can be behind an oak framed glass door, as the remote works through the glass. This lifting door will be approx 30ins wide and 13ins high, and I'd like it to be hinged along the top so that when it is raised it can also slide in under the unit top, on which the TV will stand.

I have found these on the Hafele site. Has anyone used them? Has anyone any better ideas? All comments appreciated.

Shultzy":222kaq7c said:
Roger, your link doesn't show the hinge only the front page - is this the hinge

"Pivot sliding door fittings for lightweight doors and flaps"

Schultzy = I think that the hinges and sliding rails are all part of the same mechanism.

"roger what about pocket doors, that slide round the sides. easier and stronger i think."

Paul - I'd considered that. But it that would mean having 2 doors instead of one, and then the door frames would partially obscure the DVD in the middle and maybe cause problems using the remote, and if made in one piece it would have to be too deep to accommodate the door.

the one linked slides over the top of the unit. Won't work if you have the tv on the top panel.

I think there is a version that slides inside the unit itself which is top hung.

RogerM":p1n4ml8g said:
as the remote works through the glass.

You don't even have to use glass if you don't want to. You can get IR relays quite cheaply intended for this purpose. A small receiver is placed outside the cabinet, which connects to small emitters that you tape to each item in the cabinet.

LyNx":ly0lnbw8 said:
the one linked slides over the top of the unit. Won't work if you have the tv on the top panel.

I think there is a version that slides inside the unit itself which is top hung.

Andy - I was thinking of hanging the door from the top of a bar set below the top, and with the door sliding above the bar, but below the top.

PaulO":ly0lnbw8 said:
RogerM":ly0lnbw8 said:
as the remote works through the glass.

You don't even have to use glass if you don't want to. You can get IR relays quite cheaply intended for this purpose. A small receiver is placed outside the cabinet, which connects to small emitters that you tape to each item in the cabinet.

Thanks for that Paulo. Whilst I like the idea of a glass door so that I can see what's going on, it may be helpful if the door causes problems.

Argee":ly0lnbw8 said:
I've used these Accurides very successfully, Roger. The door is carried on normal sprung European hinges.

Ray.

Ray - interesting alternative. Presumably if I used these on an overhead door, there would need to some sort of roller wheel on either side to support the door as it slides in? From what I can see the ones I showed above are sprung so that this wwould not be required?

jasonB":ly0lnbw8 said:
Pocket/flipper doors will work vertically or horizontally

Jason

Jason - another attractive alternative - Thanks.

Latest posts

Back