Leveling lawn for shed base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

b04fc41.jpg

c3593e6.jpg

I'm wanting to build a 5x2.5m shed and was wondering how I go about levelling the area for the base?

I'm going to be using paving slabs as the base to sit the floor on. The grass is quite uneven and banks up towards one side of the garden. I don't think I could afford any machinery to o the levelling so whatever I do will probably be by hand.

Do I just start at one side (the lowest point) and work my way across to the other side..digging it out level? Would this be a big job..say taking longer than a day and ending up with a huge pile of earth?

I'm going to move the small shed over to the right side and build the larger shed to the left. In the second image looking towards the house, if you look at the brickwork at the bottom of the extension you can see the bank in the grass clearly. It's pretty much the same at the back of the garden..though probably not as steep.

Any ideas guys? Is there an easier way to do it?

You have to either dig down as you suggest, or build up to a level base using some form of 'stop' where your base will be higher than ground level. Normal method is to shutter and pour concrete, then ground level is less of an issue. If you cannot concrete and want to avoid a spoil heap left over I would suggest some solid shuttering (deck boards or tannalised timber, but even these will rot out with time) then dig out the high side and shift this to the low side using your shuttering as a level guide.

To be honest, paving slabs are never going to be the best solution, but if needs must, needs must. An alternative cheap option is to use concrete pads, either in pits or bury 6" + diameter drainage pipe lengths vertical and fill these with concrete and sit shed bearers on these. You might end up with a small void under the floor depending on ground levels, but this can be covered with mesh/cladding down to ground level to prevent ingress of beasties etc.

Steve

Sorry if this is too obvious to be worth saying but to get an accurate level area start by hammering in posts at intervals and set their tops level with a long board and spirit level. You can't easily judge what is level down at ground surface without such a reference point.

And check the spirit level!

Nothing more embarrassing than using a level that isn't - ask a window fitter that came here once (8' wide 11' high window!). Very expensive rebuild at the company's expense.

When I last looked you could still buy water levels. The Romans used them and they are a lot more accurate than spirit levels or laser thingies. They're also pretty cheap - two glass tubes and a hose. For really cheap, just a length of clear pipe will do. Just be careful that there are no trapped air bubbles, and that the hose isn't too narrow - 8 to 10mm is about the minimum.

And yes, it will be a bit of hard graft but done correctly and you'll have an lovely enjoyable shed to play in

I'd be inclined to build a deck which would form the base of your shed rather than shifting large quantities of earth which can be expensive to get rid of. There is plenty of guidance on the net like http://www.wickes.co.uk/howtoguidetimberdeck#.

Worth thinking about insulating the floor as well as the walls and roof if you intend working in there in the winter. Even foil backed bubble wrap can make a lot of difference to comfort levels.

Regards Keith

Back