LED Light bulb for garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately a common problem with Chinese imports on ebay.

There are a few youtube channels that show testing these bulbs and there oftrn contain a fair percentage of dud leds thst dont light up at all or dont come on equally with the rest of the bulb.

My electrician gets loads of calls from people saying there is something wrong with their light fitting because it keeps blowing bulbs. The problem is generally that they have bought a bulk box of cheapo bulbs from somewhere that are rubbish. He tells them to pay more for a decent named brand and the problem is normally solved.

Some of those do look dodgy.

Further to my earlier post, I bought over £100 worth of bulbs of various types and wattage from Simply LED and they've been installed for more than 8 months with not a single one being any problem. They are as bright as claimed and in the case of the R60 and R80 replacements actually brighter than the std bulbs I replaced. The GU10s of which I have 12 are as bright as the 50 watt the replaced.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Bob

Lons":v0n0iuo6 said:
Some of those do look dodgy.

Further to my earlier post, I bought over £100 worth of bulbs of various types and wattage from Simply LED and they've been installed for more than 8 months with not a single one being any problem. They are as bright as claimed and in the case of the R60 and R80 replacements actually brighter than the std bulbs I replaced. The GU10s of which I have 12 are as bright as the 50 watt the replaced.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Bob

I did look there, but I needed a B22 (Bayonne Cap) and the only match I could find with Cool white (Daylight?) was this one, but it's only equivalent to 75w. I was aiming to get something at least 100w.

http://www.simplyled.co.uk/nxtgen-14w-b22-gls-led-1355/

transatlantic":1yhz8hma said:
I did look there, but I needed a B22 (Bayonne Cap) and the only match I could find with Cool white (Daylight?) was this one, but it's only equivalent to 75w. I was aiming to get something at least 100w.

http://www.simplyled.co.uk/nxtgen-14w-b22-gls-led-1355/

I would take more notice of the lumens than the equivilant wattage quoted. The R80s I bought are 11 or 12 watt, (can't remember without checking) but are only around 650 lumens although they are reflector bulbs but much closer to 100 watt equiv than 75. They differ in estimates between manufacturers as well.
That one you list seems pretty good at 1055 lumens tbh though you wouldn't know without buying and postage is an issue for small orders.

I've seen cheap B22 to E27 converters on the internet BTW which can be useful.

Bob

This is a serious solution (ledison lighting UK ) for garage lights, simple to install, robust , IP65 rated and available in different colour temperatures

Hello how can I send a web link to a technical blog for led lights? I am not allowed at the moment. Do I have to subscribe or upgrade my membership?

Excuse the complete lack of technical knowledge - this type of bulb might be mentioned above and I wouldn't know - but I bought an old-fashioned 200 watt bulb recently for a lamp in my garage and it throws out a really strong light. It has 'VF HO 515 CE' markings on it, is made/ sold for use in hazardous environments (not domestic use) and apparently this is how they get around still selling them. It cost about £4.50 and fits a regular bayonet-type socket. It gets hot and I guess uses lots of electricity, so I switch on when I really need to see detail.

This might be helpful: I am sure most of us (I was until recently) are confused by the fact modern light bulbs aren't really 'rated' in terms of watts anymore. For example, I'll bet you've gone to Sainsbury's and wanted to buy a 100w bulb and been confused when the LED bulbs are all listed as 24w - will that be bright enough?

Although the boxes normally say what wattage it is equivalent to, them clever science people have come up with a scientific definition of 'brightness', which is the lumen unit. Basically, the higher the lumen, the brighter the light.

Why does this make sense? Because LED bulbs use much less power than traditional bulbs, but can still provide the same brightness, it doesn't make sense to continue to rate bulbs in terms of watts.

As a rough guide, a 150w trad bulb = 24w LED = 2,400 lumens.

Therefore, when shopping for LED worklights, focus on the lumen: anything over 2,400 lumens will start to get you towards the level of brightness you want.

As a side note: LED bulbs are far and way a better deal for lighting. They provide a good light source ('instant' on, range of colours etc.), low power and have a long life span. Although price is a little high, this will no doubt fall as better and more cost effective manufacturing is developed.

transatlantic":2okpr6wa said:
I thought I'd pick up an LED light bulb for the garage as the one there was a little dim. I picked up the highest wattage one I could see, which was a 15w (equivalent to 100w), but it's not much of an improvement and is more a warmer orange colour. I'm looking for a bright white. I'll be replacing the fitting at some point, but for now I want something that will fit in the existing BC fitting.

Looking for some recommendations!

Espares do a 20W 1920lm daylight (4000K) in BC. I bought half a doz about 6 months ago, no duds or failures so far, and pretty bright.
Rob.

Back