lathe maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Thomas

Reaction score
I recently purchase a Jet 1442 lathe and was wondering what I should be using on the bed to keep it lubricated ?

You won't go far wrong using
<<< Linky pic.

Whatever you do, do not use anything containing Silicones, Dry PTFE products are OK in moderation, can cause adhesion problems with finishes and adhesives.

I have a little 3-in-one oil that I use from time to time, particularly in the winter when it gets damp in d'timber shed.

I can't remember who it was, but one demonstrator suggested that unless there's excessive rust he tends not to lubricate the bed and do much maintenance on it. The thinking is that the banjo will lock better when there's a slightly rough surface for it to sit against. Kind of makes sense as long as it's easy enough to move it around on the bed, which I guess depends on how much space the locking mechanism has.
I tend to lightly sand and lubricate after wet turning but that's about it - I've experienced the banjo moving when not wanted on an overly smooth and waxed bed.

Back