lathe advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Gaz

My reply to Wizard crossed with your response.

Yes they are a good lathe however the one linked does not have a tailstock, tool rest and is three phase. I think there will be better 'bargains' to be had.

With regard to your original question, you need to decide what you want to be able to do with the lathe and from there decide which lathes best suit those purposes.

Regards Mick

What are they like to use ive been told to get a cl3 but want advice off other people before I buy a new lathe

Hi

If it's 30" bowls you're after then a Union Graduate would be a great choice. Failing that you will need a lathe with an outboard turning facility but in reality you will be hard pushed to beat the shear mass of a Graduate. If you're sure about not wanting to do spindles you can even dispense with the long lathe bed and save space.

Regards Mick

Hi

You can get them with either one or three phase motors - you can also convert between types.

Regards Mick

That's the problem isn't it, you can pick up a graduate for 4 or 5 hundred quid but it's going to cost another 4 hundred or so for a converter/inverter to single phase. Plus they are rarely complete so will probably have to find face plates, tool rests etc, add a chuck to that and you're looking at a grand.

Hi

If you don't buy a single phase lathe you will need to get a single phase motor and switch to convert a three phase lathe to single phase - I think all of the remaining components are the same.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back