laptop advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past when I have needed to downgrade the version of windows the only reliable way was to boot from the old OS CD/DVD and then do a custom install ensuring the hard disks are formatted as part of this install.

Over the years I've used and supported nearly every version of Windows. Currently I'm using W7 and Vista and maybe I'm lucky, but haven't had any problems with either. W7 seems to work and boot quicker than Vista.

I see the laptop comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 providing you apply by the end of January - I'd get the update disk even if I didn't use it.

The laptop I use is a Dell 17"; it's good to have the larger screen but you need to be aware that the whole machine is not particularly light. I wouldn't want to be carrying it for any protracted length of time (as opposed to my wife's 15" laptop).

Misterfish

Its just that a laptop would be used on a laptop bean bag tray on my lap, so I assume weight therefore is not a problem?

I'd say it's a bit heavy to lift on or off your lap when you're sitting down DW.
I somewhat younger than you and wouldn't want to do it often - no offence intended :).
You might be better off looking in somewhere like John Lewis or PC world to gauge the weight and feel of the laptop before buying it.
Some keyboards can be rather unpleasant to use.

Yes you could install XP, but you might have to go hunting on the interent for device drivers and no I think I'd just get one with Windows 7 pre-installed so you know it will work out of the box - you'd be paying for some version of Windows anyway.

Having had to carry heavy Company supplied laptops on various trips abroad, when I retired I bought a 13.3"Macbook Pro - it's small, light and easily transportable.
I also use VMFusion and run Windows XP in parallel, together with some of my "must have" PC programmes.

Fantastic machine but not cheap!

Rod

Nothing to be scared of with windows 7 and a new computer. If you liked XP you will like 7 too. A couple of things are different but nothing difficult. Going back to XP is likely to be more trouble than it is worth.

I helped my daughter find a new laptop before christmas. She was annoyed her old one was slow so I looked for one with plenty of ram memory and a fast processor. To judge what was a 'fast' processor I used this list and went for something no lower than 50th place.

Your link (T4200) comes 90th. 'Pentium' seems to be a slow name these days. 'core2 duo' seems to be the thing to look for.

Anyway she is happy with her new 15" Acer laptop for £450.

Now, I am not an expert on these things, like most things in life I know how to use them quite well as long as I don't have to start tinkering or fixing them (a number of money saving car repairs spring to mind!).

But for what its worth - I bought a new laptop from Dell last January which had Vista and managed to install an old version of windows XP on it so that I could run word, excel, powerpoint etc with no problems. As has already been mentioned I have never had any problems with Vista, although still more of a fan of XP, I guess that now windows 7 is out they are unlikely to provide any support etc for XP and soon Vista.

Just for what it is worth, I have always bought Dell because they have always been good to me and are in my opinion good units with good technical support. There are some good offers on Dell at the moment for 17" laptops. I have not compared exactly with what your system offers but they seem fairly compatible and, depending on any extras you might want seem very competitive on price. I think the offers run out today (13th). I am sure you have already looked but thought I would mention it.

Whatever you decide - good luck.

I've had to lug around my 17" work laptop for a couple of years now and to be honest I wish I'd gone for a smaller display and hence lighter machine. It's nice to have the extra space but I can't say that I really need it and most of the time I plug it into an external monitor anyway. As for downgrading to XP I'd think long and hard about that. Vista was a pig but 7 is looking like it's pretty good. The world isn't going to hang onto XP for very much longer IMHO. If your concern is with software that won't run on 7 but will on XP then consider getting Windows 7 Pro as, IIRC, it has an XP emulation mode (check that out first, I can't remember if it was Pro or Ultimate that had the XP mode, I'm pretty sure it was Pro). Finally, you will probably have trouble finding drivers for all the hardware with XP.

Ah well, if its goin to be too heavy the wife wont like it either.

So back to to fifteens.

I've got an old program called Ulead photo plus 4 (1996ish) and it has got a really good poster printing application available so I dont want to run anything that cannot cope with that.

dw, for only £140 more you could get yourself a proper laptop and one that doesn't need faffing around with av stuff etc. Good chance it will run your PC program as well.

we do have a laptop in use on a bean bag tray (over 4 years of use) and that in an Acer seems to cope, although I went and checked the one the wife is using and it is quite warm below.

I once left my laptop sitting on the bed for about half an hour running flat out. It had sunk down into the duvet and boy had it got warm. I reckon the processor was well over 100*C the bottom was almost too hot to touch. Mine draws air in the bottom and vents it out the side and both were blocked. Seems like it's designed so it can use the keyboard tray as a heat sink at a push. No harm done though, still runs fine.

Funny this tread coming up now though as I bought a replacement (desktop this time) yesterday, can't wait for it arrive :D

A laptop sits on a tabletop and heat is not a problem, so laying on a tray that has a been bag below and then sitting on lap should not be any different I reckon.

Every year as I get older I dream of having a laptop, maybe this year? :) :wink:

devonwoody":36imw4uh said:
Seen this laptop on sale at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027FFU4M/r ... _as_txt_6/

I donut want Vista or windows 7, I have got some old software.

I do have a legitimate disk of Windows XP, is it possible to install that system to this laptop and is it worth the bother?

(Any good priced 17 inch laptop interests me BTW)

It is possible but not always easy I did an acer one sometime ago & it was a right pig to downgrade. I also had to talk to acer customer service who were very help full they did tell me that most of their models were not straight forward to downgrade but they did send me a link to a site that made it easier & with older driver versions.

so i recommend that you find the laptop that you like first & if you feel you need to downgrade get in touch with the maker of that model & ask the questions.
Also i know of a work collegue who bought a vista laptop then spent £250 having it downgraded

Latest posts

Back