Knots A long shot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Too many years ago I found a book in the local library on knots, obviously the book is no longer available.
I know it's a very long shot but are there any fellow members interested in knots and cordage? If so do they know of a book which was printed several years ago on bellropes (the kind used for ships bells and pub bells) the book was written about how sailors past there long days at sea, although it mainly covered bell ropes there was also chapters on place mats made with cordage and other fancy knots etc etc.
Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Stew

Knot what you were after (pun intended) but on my bookshelf I have the Dorling Kindersley Handbook of Knots by Des Pawson. ISBN 1-4053-0467-7

Bought when my daughter was learning knots in the Brownies/Guides & as such is very clear with photo quality illustrations.

Edited for spelling.

I believe the craft is called macrame and if you search using those terms you should find a wealth of information available including books and videos.

Hope this helps.
Dave.

Robbo3":2o0razid said:
Knot what you were after (pun intended) but on my bookshelf I have the Dorling Kindersley Handbook of Knots by Des Pawson. ISBN 1-4053-0467-7

Bought when my daughter was learning knots in the Brownies/Guides & as such is very clear with photo quality illustrations.

Edited for spelling.
Thanks Robbo3 I've seen this book, I've also seen the author on to making boat fenders, the book isn't what I'm looking for unfortunately.

Stew

ardenwoodcraft":1l03v7mx said:
I believe the craft is called macrame and if you search using those terms you should find a wealth of information available including books and videos.

Hope this helps.
Dave.
Thanks Dave, I already knew that, I have a few books on macrame somewhere in a box in the loft.

Stew

In the scouts years ago, we had this chap's books:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=captain+jutsum

Out of copyright, so probably free online somewhere.

If you're interested for access work, or sports other than sailing, I'd recommend On Rope. It is pricey, but contains a huge amount of information. Mine was about £70, twenty years ago, but it is coffee table sized with a lot of drawings. Only thing to beware is that the Yanks have a slightly different approach to us Europeans (the European approach being a lot more sensible). The book explains both well, but doesn't dwell on why the European approach is better.

E.

PS: Love the nautical terminology in Jutsum though.

"You look like you had a heavy session last night!"
"Yup. Totally parcelled and served this morning."

Eric The Viking":2zg31ey0 said:
In the scouts years ago, we had this chap's books:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=captain+jutsum

"You look like you had a heavy session last night!"
"Yup. Totally parcelled and served this morning."
Love it, unfortunately it will be lost on those who have no or little interest in knots, lines and cordage.
Thanks for that Eric.

Stew

Back