knife sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonzjob":1xoy1vw1 said:
An answer from Ifixit answers

"Unless you are cutting other ceramics or diamonds, these knives should almost never get dull. Use a wood or bamboo cutting board (ceramic, glass or metal is a no-no) and push less. They cut so well because they are so much harder than anything you will encounter in cooking. Bone has a hardness of about 3.5, steel knives about 6.5 and ceramic knives about 9.5. Diamonds are 10.

The guys who sharpen/use knives for a hobby and/or living (over on knifeforums, many of them work in catering) don't rate ceramics, because they're too thick and obtuse, and too blunt!

BugBear

I have a Japanese ceramic knife that I bought years ago, they may have improved, but I don't like mine at all.
I bought it to cut vegetables as it's not supposed to absorb/transfer "tastes" from items cut?
Mine is very difficult to sharpen, even using diamonds, and the blade ends are very brittle - twisting or bending is a big no-no too as they will snap?
An expensive item that sits in a drawer in its protective leather sheath most of the time!

Rod

Latest posts

Back