Kitchen table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beganasatree

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
HI ALL ,
Tonight I had the kitchen table extended and I couldn't believe the difference in the colour between the main table and the extension. The table is made of ASH and the extension looks like new ,I don't know what the finish is but the extension looks like it is bare with no sign of a finish .I shall sand it all down and refinish it.so I would like to ask for your advice on what to use for the finish, should I use sanding sealer first then a top coat?I am not looking for a glossy finish more of a natural finish, so I am open to suggestions. If it had been a bowl or something else from the lathe then I would have a better idea of what I would use but a table is a bit different.
Thanks in advance.
PETER.

Ash is a noticeably photo-reactive species - UV rays affect it quite quickly and markedly, darkening the wood. The leaves you extended have been sheltered from the light which explains their pale colour compared to the main leaves, presumably nearly always exposed to light. If the edges of the extension leaves are exposed to light during storage (a draw-leaf style table perhaps?) you may be able to notice those edges are darker than the main body of the panel(s).

As to a finish, and how to go about it, I suspect there really must be a finish on the leaves already, because it would be unusual for a maker or manufacturer to not finish some leaves but then finish others.

A bit more information would help to provide advice. What do you know about the table. Who made it? Is it fairly new?. Are the leaves solid wood or veneered? Do you know what finish was applied to the table? Notwithstanding all that, my instincts are that if a strip and refinish is the right move, then I'd probably go with a chemical stripper in the first instance, assuming the existing finish can be stripped this way, followed by sanding rather than sanding alone - sanding alone carries the risk of cutting through the veneers of a veneered panel, see my questions above. Even with that done, this may not remove the darkening that's already occurred on the parts long exposed to light, and a shading difference might remain. Then, if my intention was to put on a protective finish I'd probably look at one of the water borne finishes with UV protection to retard darkening for as long as possible.

However, all the above depends rather on what more you can tell us about this table. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back