Jim, you read my mind!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just looking back through Alan`s post (my-first-plane-restoration-t52629.html) when I came across.....

jimi43":2etz53g3 said:
Just to tease you...imagine what a nice pair of cocobolo handles would look like on her!

DSC_0169.JPG

:mrgreen:

Jim

Strangely after contemplating it for a while I purchased a small lump of said "Cocobolo", ready for my next plane re furb, just the other day! :roll:
I have to say, although you have pipped me to the post Jim, those handles do look rather lovely :mrgreen: =P~ and It has spurred me on in the hunt for the next candidate!
At the mo most likely to be a no 41/2 if I can find a suitable hunk of rust! and don`t worry there will indeed be a WIP this time and maybe even something a bit extra (although at the mo I`m not saying! :-# [-X ))

I'm just hazarding a guess here, the finish you used, would it be Tru-Oil by any chance, looks great.

So nicely done Jim, and any chance of some pics of the handles on a plane?

Edd

I would like to think that LN use Tru-Oil Edd but alas...twas not me but them that finished these. :wink:

I had a pair...didn't need them so sold them on..they don't fit Baileys.

The only cocolobo job I have done is my Holtzapffel chisel handle...

DSC_0110.JPG

I use that Holtzapffel chisel all the time...he certainly knew how to make steel work...but only for delicate finish work of course!

I might make a mallet handle from some and the lignum vitae bowling balls that I found at the bootfair.

That would be a bonkers combination...will let you know when I do it.

The only problem is you end up looking like an advert from Fanta orange at the end and it is nasty stuff for some people....I think Klaus would agree! I use dry barrier cream to stop me getting a rash and eye protection...it can be nasty stuff to work mate! Wear a mask!

Cheers

Jim

Back