It's official - I live in a pig-sty!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I went round to my NDB1 neighbour last night, he wanted me to look at his faulty xcut saw. He has the original outbuilding behind the house. I asked him if this was always one long building or, as I thought, two, knocked together. The original privy and another. I'd found the foundations of the same when we did the patio here, so I know it was original.

What I didn't know was that the second half of that building was officially a pig-sty. Apparently it shows on the original deeds (which I don't have, unfortunately) that all these houses had a pig-sty next to the privy, and it was allowed to keep one pig.

The tradition lives on, sort of, as he keeps chickens and ducks and another neighbour keeps a goat.

So yes, I really do live in a pig-sty. I feel a lot better about the general state of untidiness now, it goes with the property.

Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better.
God, now I'm thinking about poor old Boxer going off in the meat wagon.... :(

Our last house had a clause in the deeds to say we couldn't keep chickens. We had a huge garden adjoining a park, so the temptation would have been for some to cultivate and breed I guess. I was tempted to get a couple just to see if someone would invoke the covenant.

I'm surprised there's no smell in the house. There was a pigsty in a neighbouring village where I used to live and you could feel the smell from miles (depended on the direction of the wind as well).

Emanuel":3siconrd said:
I'm surprised there's no smell in the house. There was a pigsty in a neighbouring village where I used to live and you could feel the smell from miles (depended on the direction of the wind as well).
If they are kept clean there is no reason why they should smell. They are one of the cleanest animals.

I used to own a 400 year old Cottage with a small paddock attached to the garden and the covenant dating back centuries, forbad the erection of a fair! That put paid to my roustabout plans!

Jonzjob":1rnmzcd8 said:
Slightly off topic, but did you know that it's illegal to call a pig Napoleon here in France.

I can't think why :? :?

S4VoMUy.png

Steve, since there's precedence for it, maybe you could get a Pinky and a Perky and keep them in the back. After all, you do like your sausages fresh. :D

According to the FiL pig keeping was normal when he was a lad in Mansfield, most of his neighbours kept them.

On a different note a Kirkbyite mate of mine just posted this on his Facebook feed.

image_zpsin4n4kv2.jpeg

Back