IS THIS LEGAL??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beganasatree

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
Six weeks ago I was asked if would like a table at a local gala day to sell my wood turning stuff .This was a fund raising event for a local charity,cost of the table was £10.Well today was the day, I set up my table sat back and waited for some customers.while waiting I noticed that the folk at the next table were selling raffle tickets for one of their products (the cheapest one on the table)I then noticed that other stall holders where doing the same.When I asked what the raffle was all about I was told that it was a way of recouping their costs.The raffle tickets were just a book of cloakroom tickets.Has anyone else come across this or done this and is IT LEGAL?.

PETER.

P.S.
I MEANT TO POST THIS IN GENERAL CHAT.
CAN I TRANSFER IT???
Mod edit, moved.

Sporky McGuffin":ytkutynj said:

Do I need an operating licence?

"You do need a lottery operating licence if your lottery (raffle) sells over £20,000 of lottery tickets in a single draw or £250,000 of lottery tickets in a calendar year"

There are some circumstances in which you do not need a lottery operating licence:

prize competitions and free draws
small society lotteries
work lotteries
residents' lotteries
customer lotteries
lottery ticket machines
lottery syndicates.

And then there's the very first line:

Lotteries (also known as raffles, or draws) cannot be run for private or commercial gain.

Sporky McGuffin":1l419jvb said:
And then there's the very first line:

Lotteries (also known as raffles, or draws) cannot be run for private or commercial gain.
But you could argue that it was to recoup/break even. Not for gain perhaps?

Years ago when i worked in a nightclub, you were not allowed to charge an admittance fee on a sunday. So instead there was a raffle upon entry. Same thing, just skirting the law.

Monkey Mark":1p4mi6zy said:
But you could argue that it was to recoup/break even. Not for gain perhaps?

I think the Revenue might argue the other way! ;)

My guess is that any income is seen as gain in this context. If you raffled a set number of tickets, where the total value was less than or equal to the value of the prize(s) you'd be fine.

Back