Is it normal for a straight edge to be doing this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeddedhed":37p2y03m said:
Wizard9999":37p2y03m said:
Rather it is more an interesting insight into the human psyche, which is coincidentally being facilitated by a discussion about straightedges or straight edges. But it makes for a jolly amusing read.

One day we'll find out that UKW is a University Psychology experiment and we're all unwitting participants.

If that wasn't out 4 thou out I'd say that reply was damn straight.

iNewbie":hp8hn1iz said:
Zeddedhed":hp8hn1iz said:
Wizard9999":hp8hn1iz said:
Rather it is more an interesting insight into the human psyche, which is coincidentally being facilitated by a discussion about straightedges or straight edges. But it makes for a jolly amusing read.

One day we'll find out that UKW is a University Psychology experiment and we're all unwitting participants.

If that wasn't out 4 thou out I'd say that reply was damn straight.

I actually made three copies of that post. Having checked them against each other I can assure you that it's only out by less half a hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with bevel edge straightedges. I have been using them for years. Rabone Chesterman and Starrett.

They must be vertical to the surface, and I work by feel rather than squinting.

For those who have difficulty judging vertical we made simple wooden aids. A square of timber perhaps 3" side, 3/4" thick with bandsawn slot to accommodate straight edge. This should be a slightly loose fit.

David Charlesworth

Straight edges are very useful for jobs where you cannot judge it by eye, the width across the middle of a table top for example. However using one for testing an edge is a waste of time, your eye is more than accurate enough and very reliable. I've never seen a straight edge long enough to test a door stile with, what about a flight of stairs?

James-1986":1xujtpw5 said:
Straight edges are very useful for jobs where you cannot judge it by eye, the width across the middle of a table top for example. However using one for testing an edge is a waste of time, your eye is more than accurate enough and very reliable. I've never seen a straight edge long enough to test a door stile with, what about a flight of stairs?

I use my 3"x1 -1/2" aluminium straight edge for door frames and linings, I cut it off at 76" works a treat!
Regards Rodders

David C":2glesxr3 said:
Nothing wrong with bevel edge straightedges. I have been using them for years. Rabone Chesterman and Starrett.

They must be vertical to the surface, and I work by feel rather than squinting.

For those who have difficulty judging vertical we made simple wooden aids. A square of timber perhaps 3" side, 3/4" thick with bandsawn slot to accommodate straight edge. This should be a slightly loose fit.

David Charlesworth
If it's straight it doesn't need to be vertical. If it's bent is no use to man or beast.

Back