Infill Mitre Plane Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Richard!!

Best yet mate. I shall be picking your brains on a number of things soon!

Are you still up for the MAC Timbers open day on 30th?

Bring this one with the Sichester if you are...would love to have a play.

Bravo mate! Classic form...beautifully interpreted...stunningly executed!

=D> =D>

Jimi

What a stunner! But agreed, you MUST stamp it or something, so future generations can look you up :)

Thanks to all for the kind comments :D :oops: I must look into getting the lever cap engraved.

Yes, I plan to go to Mac on 30th and will bring this plane with the Silchester. I've made a start on a new plane (much simpler) and will bring that one too if it is finished and works OK.

rxh":1lc1idpl said:
Thanks to all for the kind comments :D :oops: I must look into getting the lever cap engraved.

Yes, I plan to go to Mac on 30th and will bring this plane with the Silchester. I've made a start on a new plane (much simpler) and will bring that one too if it is finished and works OK.

You certainly shall have to get that fine lever cap engraved. Might I suggest Ian at CHALCO once again...he did a fine job on the panel plane one.

I am really looking forward to the MAC Timbers event. If it's as good as last time...should be really interesting day out again. Now all I have to do is decide what wood to get....and I really hope Bill will be there.

Cheers and once again...superb job on the plane...can't wait to try her out!

Jimi

Fantastic workmanship and a great plane but to be really critical I don't really like the profile of the front tote - perhaps too much of a traditionalist?

Rod

That is beautiful.

Did you say how many hours it took? I would think a considerable number. The finished article is second to none.

You should be very proud of your achievement.

Mick

Stunning work indeed, like it a lot and even better when the padouk mellows as it has done on the smoother. Maybe a really posh shooting board to match??
Re the front bun shape, I know it's a big shift from traditional but I used rxh's smoother with the same shape, and it does handle very well. From a traditional viewpoint I'd question the Norris-style adjuster but I am prtetty sure the maker added that mainly for the fun of making it.
Outstanding work =D>

Thanks for the kind responses, guys.

Jimi – thanks, I’ll check out Chalco for the engraving.

Rod - I know the front handle shape isn’t to everyone’s taste but it is quite good to hold and also I’m trying to give my planes a distinctive look. When I made the infill smoothing plane I wasn’t pleased with the front handle shape so I removed it and came up with this style instead after much head scratching. The plane I’m making now will have an even stranger looking rear handle …. :)

Mick – ’sorry I don’t keep track of the hours but I suppose they were quite a few – I just go and do a bit of filing or turning or whatever when I get an opportunity.

Douglas – Yes, a new shooting board may be in order – my existing one does the job but is not exactly a thing of beauty. The plane is based on a Jim Kingshott design, which did include a Norris type adjuster. In his book, Jim states that he is not aware of any plane like it having been commercially produced so indeed it seems to be not exactly traditional. I changed the Norris adjuster to my own variant, added the adjustable mouth feature, altered the front handle shape and made some other small design changes – a lot of this has to do with the fun of working out the details and making them, as you imply :)

I have always been happy with Ian's work...and the traditional engraver is fast becoming a thing of the past...so I tend to support the remainder so that they may carry on the tradition.

I think I may have convinced him to travel north a few miles for the day...you might mention you are going...it may tip the balance.

Cheers

Jim

rxh'

That, is most certainly, a delightful looking work of art. Love how the wood turned out, very nice choice. An elegant engraving is in order, it would be a nice, final touch to the project. Jamey

Thanks Jimi and Jamey. I have taken your advice and Ian of Chalco has done a fine job of the engraving.

Attachments

• IMG_2353C.jpg
    IMG_2353C.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 803
rxh":9nu3zlk8 said:
Thanks Jimi and Jamey. I have taken your advice and Ian of Chalco has done a fine job of the engraving.

Yup...that guy's a bleedin' master engraver!

It truly finishes off a beautiful plane!

Bravo mate..bring it in the car with you...can't wait to see it!

Did Ian say if he was going to the MAC event?

Jimi

Thanks Jimi. Yes, I'm very pleased with Ian's work. I told him I plan to take the plane to Mac on Sunday but I don't know if he is going. I took the opportunity to have him engrave my smoother too and I'll bring that along, together with the Silchester plane and some others.

rxh":36n32k7x said:
Thanks Jimi. Yes, I'm very pleased with Ian's work. I told him I plan to take the plane to Mac on Sunday but I don't know if he is going. I took the opportunity to have him engrave my smoother too and I'll bring that along, together with the Silchester plane and some others.

WOW! It's gonna be a busy day!

Looking forward to it immensely!

See you at 8:30....

Jim

And what a beautiful plane in the flesh!

Sadly I didn't get time to have a play with that one..there were so many of yours RIchard...it was hard to get through them all...but I do intend to correct that omission next time!

And Ian's engraving is astounding...as always!

Jimi

Latest posts

Back