In a dilemma over a tble saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybos0

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have being trying to find table saw for my small workshop since Christmas and just cannot make up my mind as to which one to buy, I cannot have anything to big and like wise I don't want some thing that is cheap and flimsy, but I only have a budget of around £400, please bear in mind I don't do any thing with hard wood and I am just starting out so all my projects are in soft wood with maximum size to cut of 2 inch, so help would be appreciated in steering me in the right direction for a reasonable saw that will take a 254 or 315 blade for around £400, I cannot seem to find anything on ebay that suits, welll I have seen a Charnwood 650 but its way outta my price range at present, and any that do fit the bill are usually in chuffin devon or cornwall LOL

Regards

Andy

Hi, the axminster ts250m fits that price and looks like a good saw that can be expanded in time. Induction motor makes it a lot quieter than brush motors. Not in stock at the moment. I have a makita ml100 which has been rather good so far but not amazing. It has a sliding table that's not that great for cross cutting sheet material but very good with smaller stock. The side table extends out to give a 620mm rip capacity.....the down side is it is loud and starts with i can only describe as a bang, soft start would have been nice. The rip fence is a tad flimsy but they all seem to be at this price range. I have upgraded to a record power ts250rs now but still use the makita ,portability is handy.

Thats good. I dont think you will be disappointed. Just dont be startled when you switch it on. I made a zero clearance insert out of aluminium, the supplied one is flimsy.

I have had a 2704 for 6yrs or so & it's coped handsomely with everything I've tried to cut on it including thick oak. The dust extraction could be better though.

The reviews are either end of the scale. Half love it, half hate it. Quality control or user malfunction?
Dont throw it about in a van and treat it with care and learn how to use a table saw properly and it will serve well.
First thing i should have made is a good crosscut sled but i tended to do more ripping with the saw.
It really has to be securely mounted and weighed down if you intend to run a full sheet of 18mm mdf through it. Im sure the sheet is heavier than the saw.

Hi Chaps

I have set it up in a purpose built table so that I can still use the extensions if needed but I will eventually fit a larger out feed to it.

Tried it out today and up to now it is far better than my last saw, so hopefully I will have this as long as I had my other one lol.

Last saw was a Ferm FZT 250 bought in 2000 for 50 quid and it died at Christmas so cannot complain lol

Back