I need a block plane!!! Has anyone used the faithful ones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spotted this in homebase.
701a4d5e80bbffb014c0cbcc0f6245e5.jpg

That should do the job nicely !

Coley

If it comes to that you can have my modern stanley block for nowt but postage Michelle. (Black one with red lever cap) I did a fair bit of diy with it before I knew people would kill other people over their sharpening techniques and that buying expensive planes was a lifestyle in itself. Worked alright tbh on pine doors without sharpening. Bit of tearout probably but I didn't know any better and knowing me, I probably got around it using a razor blade or bit of glass as a remedy. It might be a bit 'basic' for you but it's free. PM me if you're interested. I make no promises on flatness of sole etc.
Regards
Chris

ColeyS1":1d57z2z3 said:
Just spotted this in homebase.
701a4d5e80bbffb014c0cbcc0f6245e5.jpg

That should do the job nicely !

Coley
You might actually be better with the Faithful than this, I think the QA can be a bit hit and miss with these when I looked at them. Faithful is the same price anyway.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

modern stanley plane are rubbish IMO seems they are trading on their past reputation. . I bought a bullnose which was almost unusable due to back iron not clamping down on the blade properly. My current block plane (newish) isnt much better due to cam action keeping undoing. Old stanley is far better...

Seeing as I was using it today I took a few pics, make of it what you will. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 88
nev":xi0oq4x5 said:
Seeing as I was using it today I took a few pics, make of it what you will. :)
Yeah looks identical to mine, except mine came in a nice wooden box with some questionable flocking.

How is it? Looks like you have had a go at flattening it. I didn't bother with mine. I held it against my tablesaw table, and I couldn't see any light underneath it, so that was good enough for me.

I actually use mine way more than I thought I would. I actually dropped it on a concrete floor today. One of the benefits of it only being £25 is that I didn't have a coronary as a result..

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I'd definitely just get an old record or stanley block plane, it shouldn't take much work to flatten, fettle and sharpen it.

Bodgers":502o62qb said:
How is it? Looks like you have had a go at flattening it. I didn't bother with mine.

No flattening here :)
straight out of the handbag, a quick lick on the stone and away. I wouldn't know the difference between a Lie Neilson and a Harry Nilsson, but it did what I needed.
And don't forget this came with a No.4 too for 29 quid.

Latest posts

Back