I knew I was in the wrong game

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I need to have a moment, I went to the Dentist today,(I still have most of my own teeth) picked up the Norfolk Magazine,
reading through, found an item of interest,in the interiors pages, made a note, came home and did some googling

A bespoke hand made trunk, looked good in the mag, turns out to be some 4"* 1" probably TP's/jewsons finest,
nailed together, with a couple of black jap T hinges "Antiqued", for the top, bent over, with a black jap hasp and staple "Antiqued"
and bit of black chain to stop it falling back, carefully hand finished with "Antique" wax, however there was a choice of dark, medium and light, also Chic.

All for the bargain price of £180.00

Give me strength..........

Or, have I found someones products?

Plus they can ship international.

Just have a look on Etsy and the like. Without sounding rude, I don't mean to be, why not knock it out yourself? Nice little earner if you can sell them.

btw even a simple trunk takes ages to make if you want to do it properly, than consider etsy fees,materials, shipping (very expensive part) , packaging it ( again pretty expensive if you want to package it well, I'm spending close to £10 just on packaging to package up items which are similar to that size and I have cut down my packaging costs to minimum) also packing up properly a simple item as large trunk will take you almost an hour.
I do sell on etsy as well and trust me even at the 180 they are not making a killing from the small volume of buyers they have..
After you count up all the hours to make it/promote it/sell it/ package it up I doubt they are making much more than £15 an hour IF they get enough orders and that's not a perm guaranteed job but a back breaking stressful one.
Sometimes I'm thinking about just packing it in and going back to 9-5 where I can clock out at 5 and be done with it and have a guaranteed wage instead.

HOJ":2gpjmedr said:
...All for the bargain price of £180.00
Give me strength.......... .
Sounds reasonable to me - though a picture or link would help; as mentioned above, if you think it's easy money, what's stopping you from doing it?

Or maybe you should just get out and about a bit more, big wide world out there full of people who aren't like you. Or me ;)

Cheers, Pete

(edited for unintended snipe)

I not having a go at the makers, good luck to them, there is obviously a market for them, not going to name names, too close to home,
you are all, right, I should get out more, thought I had.

More curious as to who buys this type of thing, maybe time for a rethink.

By the way £42.00 for the dentist and a session with the Hygienist, bargain.

HOJ":3jclx7sb said:
I not having a go at the makers, good luck to them, there is obviously a market for them, not going to name names, too close to home,
you are all, right, I should get out more, thought I had.

More curious as to who buys this type of thing, maybe time for a rethink.

By the way £42.00 for the dentist and a session with the Hygienist, bargain.

For what it's worth I understood your unwritten point in the OP

petermillard":wrpz4ozi said:
big wide world out there full of people who aren't like you. Or me ;

I think that's the crux of it. So many people have no realisation that making and self reliance are even options and accept that paying someone else for nearly everything in life is the only way.

Price it to low, then its cheap.
Price it higher, then its quality.
Price it much higher, then its must have!

Bod

Back