How would one do this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucramuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Regarding the images attached how would one go about making something like this.

I see the procedure like this:

Cut and shape first solid piece to size

Glue / screw next hollow piece onto solid piece making sure hollow piece internal shaping is machined to finish size (how would you do that)

Use bottom bearing profile router bit to shape outside of hollow piece to shape of solid piece (would their be an issue with router base wobbling a bit).

Build up further layers pending on router cutting depth and use profile bearing to shape both inside and outside.

Would that be a sensible way to construct t, I think I counted around 12 layers around 250mm in depth.

Attachments

• bike-storage-sleek-wooden-718 (1).jpg
    bike-storage-sleek-wooden-718 (1).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 294
Hi, I'd build it from front to back.

Create the first front piece. Glue & brad onto new piece (roughly cut to size on the bandsaw), and use flush trim bit to make them the same. Repeat for x pieces. Then glue on solid piece at the back, flush trimming the outside only. Final step is a roundover in the front piece.

What ^^^ said. Only thing that might be useful is a larger router base to prevent rocking.Perhaps screw an mdf base on 400mm ish square so it's bearing on 2 pieces of wood at all times.

Coley

If it were me I would drill a couple of holes in the wall, for the left pedal and handlebar. Then I wouldn't need so many layers.

If it were me I would hammer a couple lengths of old gas pipe into the wall and save a fortune.
But then I havent ridden a push bike for at least two generations and back then you kept them in the shed.

First you'll need to purchase exceptionally skinny jeans, best bet is to try the ladies department. you will then need a ironic hairstyle a pair of neon raybans and at least one friend who currently lives in an abandoned factory or the back of their car (note, this can be you if you wish too, remember hand sanitiser is for hands, try and take a shower when you can). oh and as it's winter (in the uk at least) an oversize heavy knit cardigan (see first item for best place to purchase).
great, now you are ready to spend an insane amount of money on a track frame designed to be ridden on smooth velodromes and attempt to ride it on the road. remember to do away with those lovely drop bars and low stem which are just to uncomfortable and fit a set of bars from a 1970s motorcycle or a if that doesn't have the right vibe maybe a mountain bike bar with a minimum of 4 inchs lopped off and a massive amount of rise, oh and don't forget the tiny stem for extra points, or if your feeling especially lush, a set of pointything bars (this is not a joke, there are a set of bars called this). you'll also be needing extra wide toe straps and no brakes, even though you aren't riding it as a fixed drive (because it's hard to always pedal) and have no way of actually stopping as you hurtle down a hill. did I mention the worlds most uncomfortable seat that you've been told will mold to fit you if you only ride it enough?

great so now you are on the edge of society and are so out there, there isn't anyone like you, you know, you can start working on making the worst designed wall hanger in the world. first you'll need to not shave for 6-8 months to grow in a full bushy beard, this is important as how will anyone know you are a true craftsman without a beard. great, now do as above, be warned, it is incredible wasteful as a product and rather awkward to use. below is a far less wasteful approach, it is still just as useless as a bike rack (because of the points raised above, and also because once you've banged or hip on the pedal and you head on the bar you'll be ready to chuck the damn thing in the bin)

(note, all of the above is written in good humour, no offence is meant and non should be taken)

Nicer, more useful but still useless in the end version as promised, still with silly bike, but at least there is a front brake on it.
BS_Lrg_03.jpg

just for kicks and show no hard feelings, the last inappropriate bike I built.
old bike by David Rees, on Flickr

Spot on novocaine. When at my nieces t'other day to do a bit of work in her spare bedroom, the first thing i had to do was move 2 incredibly expensive but never ridden bikes out of the way. When her hubby got home from work, he couldn't wait to mention his shiny new toy which will spend most of it's life in the spare bedroom with the other one which he was gloating about last time i worked there. He laughs at my 30 year old tourer with drop handlebars and gear levers you have to move yourself.

Like the comments thanks a lot.

It's not for me, my bikes hang in the garage on 2 bits of rebar with pipe insulation on them!

Fitting out a bike shop at the Water Front in Cape Town.

I think there maybe a bit of a market for it here, so many people live here in quite small apartments and their bike is more expensive than the car they drive, but just gets left somewhere in their flat.

I'm thinking it could be a way of showing of their prized possession in a practical way ( I have ideas I'm going to try, some bendy ones for example)

As the only part that does any "work" is the top of the triangle, why not simply create a somewhat designer influenced short floating shelf. Possibly include a concave cut out (lined with felt??) approx 2cm in from the edge so that the frame is protected and cannot be easily knocked off its support.

could you try cutting a sheet of ply into strips and then heat /steam bending them - that way you would just need a shaping template. once you have enough formed pieces you could use biscuits / dominos on the vertical to align and then glue up and clamp. final shaping with a sanding drum or by hand. Then just cut a square base and glue the shaped piece on and flush trim with a router.

Terry - Somerset":3dhhxwua said:
As the only part that does any "work" is the top of the triangle, why not simply create a somewhat designer influenced short floating shelf. Possibly include a concave cut out (lined with felt??) approx 2cm in from the edge so that the frame is protected and cannot be easily knocked off its support.
Not sure that's true - the triangular shape is going to provide a lot of additional support - especially the bottom point.

Bear in mind that any shelf needs to be as deep as one of the handle bars, which is a reasonable depth :)

sucramuk":zhznboia said:
Like the comments thanks a lot.

It's not for me, my bikes hang in the garage on 2 bits of rebar with pipe insulation on them!

Fitting out a bike shop at the Water Front in Cape Town.

I think there maybe a bit of a market for it here, so many people live here in quite small apartments and their bike is more expensive than the car they drive, but just gets left somewhere in their flat.

I'm thinking it could be a way of showing of their prized possession in a practical way ( I have ideas I'm going to try, some bendy ones for example)

It won't show off any bike with a (could even be carbon fibre) bottle cage on the down tube. :D

BugBear

Back