How to trim a book with a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think I'd be tempted to use you new clamp as a straight edge and use a scalpel, it'll take you a little bit longer but the finish will be perfect.

I think you will struggle with a bandsaw knife blade. The blade in a guillotine used by a printer is quite a bit different in that it is designed to push the cut material away from the blade as it goes through the paper, leaving a perfect finish. The best way is, without doubt, to find a local jobbing printer to do the job for you. It will take only a few seconds and you will be 100% happy with the result.

If you insist on doing the job with your bandsaw, then expect a rough edge. You may be able to improve it by not just clamping behind the cut, as you describe, but clamp up-to and past the cut so the work is fully supported both sides of the blade. Then cut through the whole lot, wood and all.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

regards

Brian

FrenchIan":31ss4w0l said:
As it says....

I have acquired several books (paperbacks) which are taller than normal, so don't fit my bookcase. There is plenty of space between the top/bottom edges of the book and the text, so I was thinking that I could cut maybe 1cm off the top and the bottom of the book....

I've tried it with a tablesaw before - not good. I've tried it freehand with a band saw - still not good - it ended up frilly. I'm thinking that if I made a simple clamp, to hold the book just behind the cut line, then fed it freehand past the blade....?

Any comments?

Thanks

Ian,

Seems a lot of trouble for little gain. Will the books fit flat on the shelves, with the spines outwards? Nothing wrong in that, unless they are rare books.

If so, as you are a woodworker, make a 'book box', as a partner to your bookcase? Is that tempting?

Cheers,

@novocaine, I'm afraid your approach is out. I'm no good with sharp knives - probably take my finger off. Besides, there are quite a few books I'd like to trim, so a lot of work involved.

I've decided to try and find a printer and ask them to do it with their guillotine. There aren't any in this village, but there's a big town nearby. It'll be a challenge for my french.

@Benchwayze, SWMBO has "requested" that the books be stood on end, like all the others, so lying flat isn't an option....

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think it needs clamping between 2 bits of 18mm mdf and then cutting through mdf and book together. I wouldnt take trimming cuts as thats more likely to cause edge fraying, I would go for it in one go (double check the measurements in case you get half a book!).

The easiest way to clamp I would say is 2 bits of mdf with some softwood battens to form a box and screw it together.

Latest posts

Back