How to roughen wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
I know we usually want a smooth finish on wood but how would you roughen a wooden surface, in particular plywood? The reason I am asking is because I have an idea for some bird nest boxes made from ply but the RSPB website suggests that the inside of the front (where the hole would go) should be rough to allow the fledglings to clamber up it to escape.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":17v896hm said:
I know we usually want a smooth finish on wood but how would you roughen a wooden surface, in particular plywood? The reason I am asking is because I have an idea for some bird nest boxes made from ply but the RSPB website suggests that the inside of the front (where the hole would go) should be rough to allow the fledglings to clamber up it to escape.

regards

Brian

Spread with glue and sprinkle with sand maybe?

A wire brush perhaps, probably in a drill, but hand held might work if the hole is big enough. Slainte.

Hi

A series of horizontal saw or router grooves should suffice. Or maybe stick some sand paper to the inside.

Regards Mick

brianhabby":9io1f6ou said:

regards

Brian

Attach a piece of bark (at an angle) below the hole?

I've got some spectacularly knackered blades for my Planer/Thicknesser. They cause wood to come out looking like decking!!

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas and all very quick as well.

I've never heard of a toothing plane but have googled it and agree it would be a good tool for this job. I think I'll try the rasp as I have a couple of very course ones.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":o7k4lhtd said:
I think I'll try the rasp as I have a couple of very course ones.
regards

Brian

If you get stuck I could send the wife over .... she has a very rough tongue ! #-o

I read the same website yesterday when I made a nestbox with my young son. We used a small chisel to dig in and curl over a little bit of the timber, and just randomly covered the area under the hole. Only took a minute and I imagine will work fine for the chicks to get out.

James

I've been using Bluetit boxes made from unroughened ply for at least 20 years now and have never had a trapped chick. What I do provide though is a 10mm dowel perch running from front to back of the box, projecting about 50mm at the front, just below the entrance hole.
Fledglings are very athletic.

Latest posts

Back