How to remove or clean beeswax from lint free cloth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albanach

Reaction score
Having applied beeswax using a lint free cloth is there a specific way of removing or cleaning the cloths so they can be reused?

i wouldnt bother- save it for the task.

It is soluable (IIRC) in acetone, but that wont do the cloth much good. If there is a lot on, you could put it in the freezer, which will make it brittle, but you wont remove every trace that way, so are left with the same problem.

Would it be similar to removing candle wax from clothing?

Tips
Hold clothes over a steaming kettle and use a paper towel to absorb the wax.
For more delicate clothing like fleece, you can place a towel over the waxed area and iron the towel. The wax will be absorbed out of the clothing and into the towel. This will avoid damaging clothing with boiling water.
Be very careful using the ironing method on furniture. If you don't test it before trying, you may end up with an iron shaped hole on your cushion.
Try using a brown paper bag to absorb the wax.

A bit of heat and something to absorb the wax.

Keep it in an airtight jar for when you next need it. I save all my old mutton cloth rags, some I use for staining and others for waxing, when I have a bucket full I soak them for a few hours in a hot soda crystal solution, then put them through the washing machine, they get better with age. I do have to run the washing machine on another cycle with just soap in it to get rid of the smell though!

Back