How to prep and install a rescued gym floor...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammyhl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Help please! I need some advice on how to install a mahogany gymnasium floor we just managed to rescue from a local private college.

Unfortunately the contractors just ripped the floor out so only around 10% of the T&G is re-usable. After getting rid of splits and cracks we have a pile of planks that are between 30cm and 4m long, and 10cm wide if the T&G is in place.

So what would you recommend I do to prep and install? Should I square off the sides where the T&G is unusable and then just glue and secret nail through the sidewall?

Also as we saved money by rescuing the floor (who could let 300sqm of mahogany go to the dump?) I've been told I can spend (some of) the difference on new/secondhand tools. What would you recommend for this? I'm thinking a table saw but not sure if a bandsaw would suit instead?

All advice welcomed!

James

You could rip them all to the same width and put a new tongue and groove on them with a router bit set.

skipdiver":15dyl7lz said:
You could rip them all to the same width and put a new tongue and groove on them with a router bit set.

That would be my suggestion but he'd need a tablesaw or bandsaw one a router table.

rip the tongue and groove off, then groove both edges to 6mm and use a false tongue made out of 6mm birch finnish ply and secret fix through both ply and groove

this will allow you to keep the boards as wide as possible (and not loose the width of the tongue on the finished board)

secret fix.jpg

one further tip, set the bottom shoulder of the remaining groove back approx 1mm to facilitate the top joint coming together really tight

you would only need a router, one of these

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... r_134.html

and an arbor

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... d_133.html

Attachments

• secret fix.jpg
    secret fix.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 189
jammyhl":1t9575jt said:
Hi,

Help please! I need some advice on how to install a mahogany gymnasium floor we just managed to rescue from a local private college.

Unfortunately the contractors just ripped the floor out so only around 10% of the T&G is re-usable. After getting rid of splits and cracks we have a pile of planks that are between 30cm and 4m long, and 10cm wide if the T&G is in place.

So what would you recommend I do to prep and install? Should I square off the sides where the T&G is unusable and then just glue and secret nail through the sidewall?

Also as we saved money by rescuing the floor (who could let 300sqm of mahogany go to the dump?) I've been told I can spend (some of) the difference on new/secondhand tools. What would you recommend for this? I'm thinking a table saw but not sure if a bandsaw would suit instead?

All advice welcomed!

James

Have you considered approaching a reclamation yard and doing a swap for the floor you need (installed of course). Depending on the square meterage, they may be eager? To accomplish what you want to do you'll need a fair variety of tools and experience.

Obviously get an idea of the estimated value of the mahogany you have first. Someone on here could help with that I'm sure.

Amazing anyone just ripped out mahogany these days, it sells for a small fortune.

In other words, do you need the full amount that you have?

Amazing - 40mins after I've posted and theres a viable solution - I used my router set to groove my door frames and jointed them with 6mm birch ply - so familiar with the process.

I've got around 75sqm of open living space to lay initially, and then depending on how much is left (I'm expecting quite a bit of wastage) we may do 1 or 2 of the bedrooms plus some cladding.

The wood is beautiful - will post some pics soon.

if its all straight, table saw would be the most accurate. With a good blade you will get almost a planed finish. a bandsawn finish will be rougher and the blade may be liable to wander

or you could do the sensible thing- List how good the floor is, its history, that it just needs little bit of TLC and stick it on ebay and sell for good £3k and buy a proper new flooring without all the hassle and pocket the rest ;)

Are the boards clean, or were they stuck down with bitumin and are covered in gunge?

If clean and nail free the job isnt too bad, although quite a meterage to do with a router.

Ideally it needs a table saw and a spindle moulder, I guessing you have around 3000 linear metres......

Boards were nailed down but thankfully not covered in gunge.

@owsnap - yes a new floor is easier but we're doing a conversion of a small warehouse that used to be an ammunition factory and nothing new really suits the industrial character we're trying to maintain. Also the fact the floor is from a semi-commercial building in our locality adds to the uniqueness - our main limestone wall is built from stone salvaged from a ruined castle a few villages away...

Yes - will be a long hard slog but its been a 10 year project already so whats the pain of a few more months of honing my woodworking skills in return for a truly unique floor...?

owsnap":9zchb7ql said:
or you could do the sensible thing- List how good the floor is, its history, that it just needs little bit of TLC and stick it on ebay and sell for good £3k and buy a proper new flooring without all the hassle and pocket the rest ;)
No soul!

There was a recent Grand Designs where the couple installed an old gym floor IIRC. They had a bit of a debate as to whether to leave the old markings on. He won and they did, once the floor was down she agreed it was the right decision. Obviously the boards were laid in a very different order / configuration than in the gym they have been in, so the effect was a lot of random markings on the floor. But it looked great and must be a real conversation starter.

Terry.

Back