How to guides..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would not

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading some of the "how to" postings on here and totally enjoying reading them, I've found myself going through pages of posts trying to track down more of them.

I was wondering if they could be copied and placed outside the forum as a reference to all looking for info in a place easier to search through.

I spend hours reading through how people do stuff on the net and find it very helpful, I like trying out different ways of tackling a job.

Just a thought..

I suspect your answer will be, "Go on then". You could make your own post that collates all the 'How To' threads that you have found and post them in a single post with a helpful title, like "UKW How To. Placement is a tricky one. We already have a lot of stickies and they tend to get ignored anyway. As you say, having them out side the forum would be intelligent, but I wouldn't hold your breath....

mm I've been a member of other forums on other subjects and after a while some good posts just end up getting buried. It was just a thought, as some people new to wood working might find it more helpful as sometimes you don't know what you're searching for in a forum.
just a thought.

I do agree with you Ian, very much. But things around here have a tendency to just drift along without much effort put in to such things. By and large it's the members who take it upon themselves to add useful threads with content like you suggest. As a new member, you'd not have noticed that the content of the non-forum side of this site, hasn't been updated at all for over two years.

I think it's a great idea... I noticed in the toy storage thread that I was finding the OP's questions were very much like my own and were getting answered. Some handy tips picked up and added to my brain. Hopefully it will be able to find them when the time comes :)

Really, honestly, I don't want to pee on your parade but... We have this sort of thing at work called the Knoweldge Base... No one looks at it, but everyone thinks its a great idea though ;) It even came up in conversation earlier today!

I wouldn't mind it as a reference tool, indeed I make my own notes from time to time as I am on a steep learning curve and get to practice at the weekends when the weather permits me to be outside with power tools and wood :) It will need a selling point or be regularly updated with things that interest a lot of people to do well though.

i know a good fettling thread that could be added to the list of how to's :wink:

Back