How to cut a stopped groove for inlay - scratch stock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go on to inlay larger projects you might find this useful.

Here's a writing desk that I made with a 1.5mm sycamore line inlayed in the top. The design meant that the inlaying had to be done after the desk was pretty much completed, only the three drawers left to make and fit, so the desk represents a couple of hundred hours of work at this stage. You really didn't want to make a ruinous slip this late in the game!

Desk_A.jpg

Inlaying the sides and back was a little easier as they were straight, and I could use a router running on a track with start and end stops cramped on, so it was as bombproof a process as I could make it. The desk is cramped against a larger bench to cut down on vibration and tremors.

Desk-B.jpg

Inlaying the curved front was riskier. The router runs against a template that matches the curve precisely (it was the same template that was used to cut the curve in the first place), and again there are start and end stops. There's also a spacer block underneath the router arms to prevent any tipping, and I've added an auxiliary handle to the inboard end of the router arms to add additional security.

Desk-C.jpg

Attachments

• Desk_A.jpg
    Desk_A.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 552
  • Desk-B.jpg
    Desk-B.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 552
  • Desk-C.jpg
    Desk-C.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 551

Latest posts