How to adapt this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhimages

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Having seen Nev's excellent beetles from line drawings

how easy or difficult would it be to turn this into pattern?
what would you recommend

i own the 200 version of this and use it to commute 40 miles daily , weather permitting!!
ktm_duke.jpg

Attachments

• ktm_duke.jpg
    ktm_duke.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 803
Well I can't help you at all about being mad enough to commute 40 miles daily on such a contraption Gary (to me, motor bikes are just like nuclear bombs - better if no one had bothered to invent them in the first place!). But that's just me - and I KNOW there are others on this section who will disagree with me - violently probably.

But getting back to scroll sawing, I have had at the back of my mind a pretty complicated Intarsia picture of an aircraft to do for a friend. I haven't even started it yet (been re-wiring and almost completely reorganising my shop in the cellar) but I have had had some PM correspondence with Claymore (Brian) of this parish. He's been VERY helpful and made a number of suggestions that I would never have thought up on my own, including:

1. Imagine the actual object is right in front of you, oriented as per your chosen picture. The bits that are nearest to you are the biggest/thickest bits of your picture, those further away, less thick, those furthest away are the thinnest;

2. For fine detail you can use a wood burning kit (Pyrography) or even a fine soldering iron;

3. If your choice of wood is limited (in colour) then you can use wood colour, dye, or even paint;

4. When setting out the parts, make sure that the grain runs along the longest parts - e.g. for my aeroplane, the grain of the wood will run along the fuselage, and a separate bit, along the wing;

5. If the "nice" wood you've got isn't all that thick you can always raise it up a bit by sticking it onto a bit of ply or something.

As I say, I haven't even started my aeroplane yet but I hope the above will give you some ideas. I'm sure Claymore will be along soon to add (much better) points, and when my aeroplane is finally done (do NOT hold your breath) I'll post some pix.

Hope that helps

AES

Very generous of you to say excellent :oops: but I'll take it :)

If its a line cut thing like the beetle and mini I did you effectively need to create a stencil, making sure that there are no portions unsupported, and you'd need to remove a fair bit of detail but keeping the obvious Duke bits, like the trellis frame, motor and tank badge, but I'm no expert the 2 bugs and the mini are all I've tried so far.
I'll have a play with the image tomorrow if i get time see if i can make anything of it but no promises :)
In the meantime have a google for creating stencils from photos or similar. Inkscape and Gimp are free and have thousands of tutorials out there somewhere.

That looks interesting Martinka. A Q if I may please:

Can you change the colour? (I realise that your pic is smaller than it would be to actually work from, but the original pic - B&W rather than the blue & white of yours - looks clearer/more detailed - on my screen anyway - than your pic does).

AES":2m3j6461 said:
That looks interesting Martinka. A Q if I may please:

Can you change the colour? (I realise that your pic is smaller than it would be to actually work from, but the original pic - B&W rather than the blue & white of yours - looks clearer/more detailed - on my screen anyway - than your pic does).

I assume you grabbed the program? There's a slider at the bottom that does two things, it allows you to change line thickness and also change the line colour.

I didn't use the line drawing in the first post, I used a colour photo off Google images. The line drawing is obviously more detailed, but my thinking was that it also needs much more detail removing to make a pattern than the one I posted. Not that I am any good at making patterns. :)

Nice one, Nev, nice and easy to cut, and you can tell what it is. I've had numerous goes at more complicated motorbike patterns, and except for a HD sportster which came out OK, they were all doomed to failure. The pattern for my own bike was done for me by someone on Steve Good's forum, and after trying to make my own, I can appreciate how long it must have taken him.

Back