How many chisels and gouges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":r2tpdmxu said:
He who dies with the most chisels wins!

I have around 200 chisels gouges and carving tools.

Pete

One day you will go to that tall cupboard you keep them in and they will fall out and crush you :|
But somehow I think you might like to "go" like that :lol:

150 ish....... this includes woodworking, furniture, turning and carving chisels.... didn't count my cold chisel and chalking ones haha

and all of mine are sharp too
TT

I was going to say around 60. But if we are adding turning ones it must be nearer 80. I recently gave 10 to a young bloke stating to get interested in our hobby. So must start looking for some more :|

lurker":prl6yyn6 said:
Racers":prl6yyn6 said:
He who dies with the most chisels wins!

I have around 200 chisels gouges and carving tools.

Pete

One day you will go to that tall cupboard you keep them in and they will fall out and crush you :|
But somehow I think you might like to "go" like that :lol:

They are split between two cupboards and the toolchest in the hall!

Pete

and another one 1 1/2 I&H sorby

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 867
I did a count of my chisels etc. today :- 35 firmer / bevel edge chisels
12 mortise chsels
37 gouges
78 carving chisels

I havent phtographed them all but here are a few WARDS in my collection :-

From left to right :-
Just over 1/16” wide and marked “Ward” and with octagonal handle– Is this an early one?
1/8” mortise chisel with oval handle
¼” bevel edge chisel with boxwood handle and with transfer on handle- quite late production I assume.
7/16” firmer chisel
½” bevel edge chisel with boxwood handle.
1” firmer chisel with home made replacement handle.
5/8” firmer chisel with boxwood handle.
½” firmer chisel with boxwood London pattern octagonal handle.

From the top
7/16” O/C gouge with boxwood handle.
5/8” I/C gouge with boxwood handle.
1 ¼” paring gouge with beech handle (poor).

From left to right
1 ¼” bevel edge chisel with boxwood handle.
1 ¼” heavy framing chisel (railway carriage maker’s ? ) with ash handle.
1 ½” firmer chisel with beech octagonal handle.
2” firmer chisel with ash handle.

wizard":4jcdbltu said:
and another one 1 1/2 I&H sorby

Here is mine very similar exept mine is a blacksmith made one

Cheers Arnold

I've finally managed to take pictures of the rest.

19 in this lot, not including duplicates, total so far is 117 chisels and gouges.

Attachments

• socket mortice chisels x 3.JPG
    socket mortice chisels x 3.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 736
  • gouges x 6.JPG
    gouges x 6.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 736
  • Chisels x 5.JPG
    Chisels x 5.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 736
  • Mortice.JPG
    Mortice.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 736
37 in this lot, not including duplicates, total so far is 154 chisels and gouges.

Attachments

• Chisels x 10 small.JPG
    Chisels x 10 small.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 736
  • Chisels x  10 small.JPG
    Chisels x 10 small.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 736
  • gouges x 7small.JPG
    gouges x 7small.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 736
  • Chisels x 8small.JPG
    Chisels x 8small.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 736
  • Chisels narrow x 6small.JPG
    Chisels narrow x 6small.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 736
I have the grand total of 7 chisels :shock: ...... but a workshop full of other toys :wink:

I also have some I've bought new, 4 Marples splitproofs and 20 Lidls. Add that to this lot of 9 (not inc the one without handles), that makes a total of 189 chisels and gouges.

Attachments

• Marples paring gouges x 5small.JPG
    Marples paring gouges x 5small.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • lastsmall.JPG
    lastsmall.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,164
4 more gouges, total is 193 chisels and gouges (not including turning tools). I think that's the lot, for now!

Attachments

• 4 gouges front small.JPG
    4 gouges front small.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,123
  • 4 gouges back small.JPG
    4 gouges back small.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,123
your chisel roll must be huge, just a curious question why so many?
ive slashed my chisels by over half, and still going. no point in having 10 1/2" bevel edge chisels
2 would surface one for soft wood the other for hard wood.

TT

I just really like old chisels and gouges! And they don't take up a lot of space. I agree about the chisels, you only actually need a few, to use that is. But you can never have too many gouges (and carving tools)! I'm carving a violin scroll at the moment and it's nice to have the right sweep and width so that the carving comes straight off the tool.

JohnPW":140amjh3 said:
I just really like old chisels and gouges! And they don't take up a lot of space. I agree about the chisels, you only actually need a few, to use that is. But you can never have too many gouges (and carving tools)! I'm carving a violin scroll at the moment and it's nice to have the right sweep and width so that the carving comes straight off the tool.
If I "collected" any woodworking tools I think it would be chisels and gouges. So many fascinating types and shapes for many different trades and even those going back two or even three centuries are not that expensive. I must admit I've sold/given away many over the years and there's some I now wish I kept.

Here's 5 more, makes a total of 198. I've some more on the way so that'll bring it to over 200.
Wales & Sons,Marples,Birch,I Sorby,Geo Barnsley,as bought.JPG

Cleaned with meths and started sanding off the rust:
Wales & Sons,Marples,Birch,I Sorby,Geo Barnsley,cleaned.JPG

Sharpened and handles oiled:
cleaned,oiled,sharpened.JPG

The biggest one is George Barnsley, and apparently they were well known for shoe and leather working tools. There are lots of photos on various websites of their abandoned factory in Sheffield. The trademark is the letter A and a boot, although on my gouge there's an A, the boot looks different.

Found on the web:
George Barnsley & Sons trademark.jpg

George Barnsley & Sons trademark on knife.jpg

The other less well known "maker"/brand is EJ Birch who was apparently a North London plane maker and tool dealer.

The boxwood handled gouge is Wales & Sons. It was covered in old paint when I got it and unfortunately I refinished it in the process of trying to get the paint off. And also the back has deep pitting near the business so I don't feel too bad having completely removed the "patina". I think I over did it on the brass but it'll darken again over time.

Attachments

• cleaned,oiled,sharpened.JPG
    cleaned,oiled,sharpened.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Wales & Sons,Marples,Birch,I Sorby,Geo Barnsley,as bought.JPG
    Wales & Sons,Marples,Birch,I Sorby,Geo Barnsley,as bought.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Wales & Sons,Marples,Birch,I Sorby,Geo Barnsley,cleaned.JPG
    Wales & Sons,Marples,Birch,I Sorby,Geo Barnsley,cleaned.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • George Barnsley & Sons trademark.jpg
    George Barnsley & Sons trademark.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,028
  • George Barnsley & Sons trademark on knife.jpg
    George Barnsley & Sons trademark on knife.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,021
tobytools":jqfw12zi said:
your chisel roll must be huge, just a curious question why so many?

The majority of my 70 or so are gouges - and when it comes to wood carving tools, there's always room for one more.

There's 14 basic profiles (flat; skew; 9 different circle arcs, from a tiny part of a circle up to a half circle; two u shapes (one with splayed upper walls, the other parallel; 3 V shapes (60, 75 and 100 degree angles)).

Each of those profile can come in a range of widths; Ashley Illes makes 18 different widths, from 1/16" (1.5 mm) up to 3" (70mm).

They can combine with four major shaft styles - straight, long bent, short bend and back bend.

So far that's just over 1000 different tools, without repeating. In practice not all tools are essential for all work - although there's definatly some carver out there that need that one weird tool, most carvers have only a few hundred. Grinling Gibbons was alleged to have had around 500, for example.

There's also differences with in-cannel vs out-cannel (vs double bevel), for gouges, and possibly cranked or dog leg shafts, not counting more obscure blade profiles like macaroni, or bull nosed variations.

In practice, I suspect that most carvers will carve most pieces with 10-40 tools at most (but that's a different 20-40 for each piece); with a common core of about 20 that are regular appearances (Again, that 20 will vary from carver to carver - someone who does relief carvings will have quite a different set from someone doing work in the round).

I've a list of a further 30 I want, just to eliminate the most egregious 'missing' tools from my sets…

I would be interested in seeing those carving tools if you would be inclined to take the photo.

Also a 3 inch gouge, golly. I have a 1.5 inch curved gouge (the Henry Taylor sculpture variant) which already feels huge.

Ah, I fear I may have accidentally misled - my own collection is small and unimpressive. At present, at any rate.

I was trying to outline when one would _want_ a large collection - and whilst I most defiantly do want, there's a a small matter time and money in the way of that as yet.

Plus, most of my chisels are at SWMBO's place; I'll take a few shots of the more interesting ones next time I can, but much of them will look much like everyone else's.

Back