How do you store your sandpaper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the velcro backed stuff stick a strip velcro (with the teeth :wink: ) on the front of the lathe...

I keep my ready to use abrasives in a tote hanging on the wall beside the lathe.
The Tote hangs on a French cleat so that it is easily moved elsewhere if needed.

DSC02849.JPG

A piece of scrap cloth is held across the front with Velcro when turning to keep the bulk of the chips out.
DSC02850.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02849.JPG
    DSC02849.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC02850.JPG
    DSC02850.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 146
My sandpaper is never in use long enough to have a storage place. :lol: Although my bulk rolls are hanging on a pole so as I can just tear strips off when needed.

Nice one Chas, looks good............consider the idea well and truly nick.. borrowed :lol:

I buy mine in rolls,and velcro-backed discs - both sorts are stored in plastic wall-mounted storage bins near the lathe.(One of the plus-points of only having a small workshop is that,by default,nearly everything is within arms reach.. :wink: )

Andrew

Hello all,

I keep mine in a drawer underneath the lathe, easy to get to, and does not fill with wood when turning, is one of those easy assembly kits from ikea ( just up the road ).

GT

Hi all,

I'm with Graham on this one. Velcro backed abrasive is the way forward!!

P.S. I know a good supplier if you need any :wink:

Cheers,

Richard

If I find any in my workshop, I file it in the rubbish bin!
Not much help I know. :sign3:
But FWIW,

I do use 'wet and dry' and I store it on edge, in one of those plastic, magazine holders from Viking. I put a piece of A4 card between the various grades.

Viking also do a 'flat-pack' version for mags like F&C, but mine are full of 'The Woodworker', and 'Good Woodworking' because I make bird tables!

Regards
John :D

Benchwayze":a3yfsyaq said:
If I find any in my workshop, I file it in the rubbish bin!
Not much help I know. :sign3:
But FWIW,

I do use 'wet and dry' and I store it on edge, in one of those plastic, magazine holders from Viking. I put a piece of A4 card between the various grades.

Viking also do a 'flat-pack' version for mags like F&C, but mine are full of 'The Woodworker', and 'Good Woodworking' because I make bird tables!

Regards
John :D
Sorry Richard.. The 'stupid' sign wasn't meant for you! I just can't see properly, what it says on the 'sign'!
Apologies!
John

Heres how I store my general woodworking sandpapers

DSCN3564.jpg

And the woodturning J-flex abrasives

DSCN3563.jpg

And the bits of J-flex while they are in use, grit size increasing from one end to the other, the piece of wood has a couple of rare earth magnets recessed and superglued in on the bottom so it can be attached anywhere on the lathe close to hand without being shaken off

DSCN3566.jpg

Might change over to abranet sometime but got loads of J-flex to keep me going for a while still.

Cheers, Paul :D

Hi John,

No offence taken. It takes more than that to upset me!! :D

Paul,

Good pics of your sanding storage, all conveniently close to a huge stock pile of timber blanks and a Wivamac(?) control unit... you're just showing off now!!! :wink: :D (Your workshop looks disgustingly clean and tidy by the way... you should be ashamed of yourself!!! :wink: :D )

Cheers,

Richard

Doesn't always look that way Richard :lol:

It's a WivaMac as you spotted, DB1200 I think is the model, nice big brute with a 3hp 3phase motor so handles anything from pens to very large bowls.

Have just finished building a seperate stand for the contol box, it was previously mounted underneath the lathe onthe side of the left leg, but was never really good for safe access, now much safer and more convenient on a moveable stand above and to the right of the lathe in easy reach.

Hoping to get some workshop time tomorrow and finish off a couple of bowls, but depends on the weather, if it's nice I need to be getting on top of the gardening :roll:

Cheers, Paul. :D

Was just having a look at your website Richard, some nice stuff there.

What finish do you use on your turned fruit and mushrooms, gives a terrific gloss ? !!!

Cheers, Paul. :D

Richard Findley":3k45mpn9 said:
Hi John,

No offence taken. It takes more than that to upset me!! :D

Cheers,

Richard

Just saw your site Richard. Very nice work... 'The Man from Del Monte; he say Yes!'
Regards..

John :)

Back