Hot Melt Glue Guns - Reccommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I've done a little research this afternoon but am now looking to separate the wheat from the chaff!!

With Guns from 10W to 100W and 7mm, 11mm & 12mm sticks what is the opinion of the panel as to the 'way to go' ?

At the variety of prices I've seen this is not a real issue and I would prefer a solid product rather than a 'toy'.

Just take note that most 12mm guns will not take 11mm sticks, (not more than once anyway) the rear seals may leak the glue backwards around the stick and this wrecks the gun because once cooled the stick/glue can no longer be advanced into the heat chamber.

Most cheaply available sticks are nominally 11mm.
I personally have had a Bosch PKP 18e for several years and it's still performing well.

depends how much you want to use at any one time, but unless youre going to spend hundreds, they are much of a muchness. I have a very cheap hobby shop no name that takes 7 mm sticks. Works extremely well, just takes a couple minutes to warm up.

I have three glue guns one need a little repair will have to look what make they are they all have given me good service. I know one is Bostik.

Thanks - some very useful comments/information.

Bosch has long been one of my preferred manufacturers so that came high on my list for evaluation. Couple that with CHJ's comment about 11mm sticks being available cheaply and could well be a problem if used in 12mm guns pushed me toward the Bosch.

Further research brought the TEC 805-12 into the frame. The fact that TEC have a very wide range of sticks available at competitive prices and there is a special offer with an 80 stick variety pack at an effective cost of £2 makes it very attractive.

It took me a while to find the information about the warm-up time for the Bosch and I was a little surprised - after reading "the tool heats up and is ready to use quickly" and "up to operating temperature in moments" - to discover that it is some 7 minutes !! The TEC is 3.

Despite a search of (probably) a dozen web-sites - including Bosch's own - I cannot find a figure for the wattage.

I haven't placed an order yet but I think the TEC has the edge.

J-G":3a21e4c8 said:
.....It took me a while to find the information about the warm-up time for the Bosch and I was a little surprised - after reading "the tool heats up and is ready to use quickly" and "up to operating temperature in moments" - to discover that it is some 7 minutes !! The TEC is 3.

Despite a search of (probably) a dozen web-sites - including Bosch's own - I cannot find a figure for the wattage.

The Bosch is 200 watt Max, dropping to 16 watt for temperature maintenance via electronic control.

For what it is worth just tried my 4 month old Bosch PKP 18E. From switch on to free flowing glue was a total of 2mins 20sec

I got a TEC 305 12mm Glue Gun from Gluegunsdirect - it works very well and I'm pleased with it. Far better than the cheaper DIY one I had before.

J-G":5704qjgf said:

Screwfix says the following about the Bosch Chas mentioned;

User-friendly glue gun with electronically regulated heating elements. Suitable for use on a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, ceramic, metal, glass, textiles and leather.

"200W
7min Heating Time
Mechanical Feed System
Wire Safety Stand
Clear Glue"

I finally made the decision and placed an order for the TEC 805-12 at 4:19 yesterday - the gun arrived at 9:58 this morning - - -

Shopping is so much easier since the internet arrived ! :D :D

Back