Hopefully last turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully my last turnings on the old lathe as I will be going to Stile and Bates Saturday to buy a CL3 which should last me.

The first is a tea light made from Sapele and the second is a small hollow form from a Ash log

DSCF3096_zpsee086677.jpg

DSCF3098_zps66ad6c29.jpg

DSCF3100_zps81b8b53d.jpg

DSCF3103_zpsf3dfefe0.jpg

Hi

I hope you like your new lathe as much as I think you will - I'm sure you'll see a step change in your turnings.

Regards Mick

Thank you all

Soylent1":380gwvco said:
Great work Dal!

I really like the ash one! what's the sidewall thickness? it looks seriously thin....?

Tony

The hollow form is about 1 to 1.5mm thick, some very seriously gentle cuts required. I was trying to get it hollowed out as quick as possible had to be turned inside and out in a very short time as the wood was still a little wet, by leaving it over night it would have moved and It would be impossible to get an even thickness.
I finished it last night and today you can feel where it has already moved, look at the first two pictures of it and you can see the different shape especially about 1/3 of the way up

Getting a new lathe is pretty exciting (well it always has been for me anyway!) looking forward to seeing your new setup and creations Dalboy! :)

Nice turnings BTW, I am uncertain though about the Ash HF, is that a hole in the side of it or just a dark mark, I cannot tell from the picture?

Good example of natural figure potential with the Ash piece, really shows the hidden character of the wood.
Not an easy subject (wood) to hollow out and finish well inside, the edge thickness, whether truly indicative of the whole wall or just sanding enhancement of the immediate edge area to give an impression of lightness, works well.

Thank you all. I will wait until I get the new lathe to do this months challenge.

KimG":39le2uqa said:
Getting a new lathe is pretty exciting (well it always has been for me anyway!) looking forward to seeing your new setup and creations Dalboy! :)

Nice turnings BTW, I am uncertain though about the Ash HF, is that a hole in the side of it or just a dark mark, I cannot tell from the picture?

That is just a dark mark in the wood, I did wonder if it would fall out turning it that thin but CA glue is your friend :lol:

CHJ":39le2uqa said:
Good example of natural figure potential with the Ash piece, really shows the hidden character of the wood.
Not an easy subject (wood) to hollow out and finish well inside, the edge thickness, whether truly indicative of the whole wall or just sanding enhancement of the immediate edge area to give an impression of lightness, works well.

This is not how I saw it when I picked up the piece of log, I was hoping to keep some bark on at the opening but the branch was just to small to achieve that, I could probably have done so if I made it more open type of form.

Dalboy":1f33s8je said:
That is just a dark mark in the wood, I did wonder if it would fall out turning it that thin but CA glue is your friend :lol:

In which case, most impressive! :)

Back