Hope Pro Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Finch

Established Member
Reaction score
So, having seen it at the Detling show, I took the plunge last weekend and ordered the Pro Sander from the Hope website.

It arrived yesterday. Fantastic thinks I, I have a bowl in the chuck at te moment, let's play! Hmm... No sanding pads! They could have thrown a couple in!

I have ordered some Velcro packed rolls in 120 - 400 grit from eBay but am desperate to play. Would I be ok buying some of the 150mm Velcro pads with the holes in from screw fix or the like? Or should I just be a little patient and wait for the rolls to arrive?

TIA

Coll

I'm sure you can use any velcro back sheets cut down to size. Whether having holes in the sheet is a good idea or not on this type of sander, I'll leave to others.

I'm planning on getting one and using Abranet which seems to be the best abrasive sheet product I've used.

I buy sheets of velcro backed abrasive from Richard Findlay and cu square pieces to fit. Any abrasive with a fluffy backing will work.

Pete

Mr Finch":n37hmo7v said:
Does abranet stick??
It sticks but don't apply too much pressure else the sanding head barbs may poke through Abranet weave and get abraded off on workpiece.
Abranet also is not as robust as fabric backed abrasives if subjected to high speed and heavy pressure.

I cut some Abranet to use on my Sorby sander and the hooks poke through the mesh and being plastic they wear out and the first you know is when the discs fly past your ear :lol:

Mr Finch":1gwchlum said:
Yeah, I was really tempted at Detling but ha just bought one of the 6mm carbide tools and SWMBO was watching... :)

I didn't take the other half safer that way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yorkshirepudding":2emxywes said:
I cut some Abranet to use on my Sorby sander and the hooks poke through the mesh and being plastic they wear out and the first you know is when the discs fly past your ear :lol:
Yes, whether you get away with it or not depends on the hook brand, I've got a couple of worn heads from various brands that won't grip Velcro pads well but still work with abranet.
But I don't regularly try and use abranet in this mode, just keep it for gentle hand sanding, gives a very good feedback especially on something like Yew which is more heat sensitive than most woods.

I bought a Hope sander at the Daventry show some time ago and was advised not to use Abranet for the reasons already stated and because the heat could affect the velcro pad unless being very gentle. The stuff that Richard Findlay sells is very good - lasts well and doesn't clog too badly.

Duncan

Had mine for 2 years now bought whole kit when Simon was at our turning club still on the same disks pads issued. Used virtually everyday and clean with a brass liming brush this assists in the no clogging life.
Richard

Oh wow oh wow oh wow!

While I was at work this morning my wife text me to say the the sandpaper had arrived. 120 to 320 grit, 5m rolls. So, got home, had some scran and headed for the workshop.

What a revolution! Whoever said it above was right, I do not regret it at all!

So much quicker, no hot fingers and the bowl turned out beautiful. European White oak that fought back all the way.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Back