hollowing tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find that each turner has his or her own preferences. Your best bet would be to join a club where you can try the various systems before laying out your cash.

I have the Sorby RT 200(???) deep hollowing system and Simon Hope deep hollower. I use them both equally.

I have just brought the crown revolution tool from Mark Sanger after a good hour on the phone to him. First impressions is that it is a well made tool as for how it performs you would have to wait as I managed to turn (well kind of) hollow form and went through the side my fault not the tools. It felt comfortable to use and done the job quickly. Like I said that is all I have managed once I get back out to the shed and turn some more I will be able to give a better overview of it.

I think that it would be better to ask exactly what you want to do with it. Like how deep do you want to hollow, will it be for end grain or cross grain hollowing.

Looking at all your posts so far ( and I hope you do not take this the wrong way) you are a newcomer to turning.

If so I think that the best coarse of action is to find a suitable lathe, a chuck and some basic turning tools(buy the best you can afford). Join a club or get some one to show you the basics at least practice using them first and then as you improve buy tools as and when you want.

It is so easy to look at what people are turning and run head long into turning also you could end up buying tools that will end up on the shelf not being used(unless you like collecting tools that is :lol: :lol: )

Gaz,

To follow my theme - it depends! What you want to make, wet / dry timber, cross or end grain. Most will tackle all, but some excel in one type, others in other types of work. If you only ever want to hollow miniature forms, that will rule some options out and the reverse is true.

I would echo Delboy's advice but to answer your question directly (with beginner in mind - pls correct me if that is not the case)

Low budget - google oland tool. Homemade with bit of steel rod and hss tip from any tool merchant. limit projection of tip to limit torque placed on tool. Pros, cheap and best suited to end grain work although can do others. Cons, scraping tool so finish can be rough until get hang of it, can be bit aggressive / 'catchy'.

High budget- munro hollowing tool (5/8" shaft). great tool, easy to use. Pros - Excels in wet end grain but v.good all rounder. quick to learn. Cons - cost. err - that's about the only one!

This is a wide market, basically all either cutting or scraping tools though. cutting tools sub-divided into shielded and open. Ask if you have any other specific Qs but as above, i'd really suggest cutting you teeth on the outside shape before trying to do the inside blind!

BRgds
Simon

Back