highest bidder reserve not met

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone explain ebay rules?
i am highest bidder but not met reserve
do i have to keep going even though my bid is £45 higher than what is showing?

Steve

Essentially, yes.

There is a minimum price on the item, and it hasn't been met yet.

The bidding will have started at a lower price to attract, and generate some interest.

You'll have to keep going I'm afraid...

I think a reserve is the minimum amount the the seller is prepared to sell at and is not related to any other bids.

I dont why sellers dont just make the reserve visible. I suppose it encourages bidders to get involved without being put off by a high starting price.

When you are the highest bidder it's sometimes worth contacting the seller and asking him what his reserve is. I've found about 50% are willing to tell you.
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It always baffles me why people would bid on an item with days to go. You wanna be the highest bidder when it ends, not with 8 days still to go ! I leave my bidding till the last 3-5 seconds of an auction.

Coley

I sell quite a lot on eBay but never use a reserve, neither would I bid on an auction with one. Don't like them at all.
I'd rather set my opening bid to the minimum I'll take.

ColeyS1":1qprusmv said:
It always baffles me why people would bid on an item with days to go. You wanna be the highest bidder when it ends, not with 8 days still to go ! I leave my bidding till the last 3-5 seconds of an auction.

Coley
Everyone seems to be doing that now. Many of my auctions end in a 5 seconds bidding flurry so makes little difference in the long run. No bids for 10 days a then half-a-dozen bidders in the last few seconds.

ColeyS1":1encfnku said:

Coley

Why wouldn't you bid early? You see an item and decide how much it's worth to you. You then put that as your high bid. It doesn't matter if that's 5 seconds or 5 days before the auction ends. If you win, great. You got it for what you think it's worth to you (or less). If you don't win, then meh; someone obviously thought it worth more than you. Sod sticking glued to a screen at 8.42 on a sunny evening just to see if you win someone elses tat. If I've won I'll know about it soon enough.

That's exactly my policy. Set the price that you are prepared to pay. I place it days before the end of the auction, sometimes I've even forgotten I've placed a bid. Some I win, some I don't.

otter":eui9mugv said:
ColeyS1":eui9mugv said:

Coley

Why wouldn't you bid early? You see an item and decide how much it's worth to you. You then put that as your high bid. It doesn't matter if that's 5 seconds or 5 days before the auction ends. If you win, great. You got it for what you think it's worth to you (or less). If you don't win, then meh; someone obviously thought it worth more than you. Sod sticking glued to a screen at 8.42 on a sunny evening just to see if you win someone elses tat. If I've won I'll know about it soon enough.

you got 0 chance winning something in that case...Or be ready to spend way more than you should have needed..
btw there's ebay snipers, you pay them few pennies if you win the auction and they bid your max bid in the last 2-3seconds so you don't have to sit at screen at 8.42 on sunny evening.

owsnap":35ht0k3e said:
otter":35ht0k3e said:
ColeyS1":35ht0k3e said:

Coley

you got 0 chance winning something in that case...Or be ready to spend way more than you should have needed..
btw there's ebay snipers, you pay them few pennies if you win the auction and they bid your max bid in the last 2-3seconds so you don't have to sit at screen at 8.42 on sunny evening.

I disagree on the 0 chance thing. I see your point on the 'spend way more than you should have needed' bit but I see it differently. You see something and decide what it's worth to you. That's your top bid. If you get it for less, you're up. If you want it badly, but for as little as possible, that's just greed.

How do snipe bot things work? Do you give them your maximum bid and they work upwards to that limit? If so, what's the difference? If not, how do they work?

Sure if you place a bid which is way over the market value and no1 else is mad enough to beat you, than you get it of course...
I sometimes forget about the auctions I want as well and have no desire to sit myself at the screen at the last moment and waste half a day just remembering to place a bid at the last minute.. I get it - it sucks! But there's a solution

ezsniper.com
this is the one I use, there are others as well, that place chargers 1% of your bid if you win the item, I think there are even some free services like that or some cheaper but I just know that site and have been using it forever, loaded it up with $10 and Have been using that thing for past few years with that credit. Haven't really done much research on other places. You just enter your item id and your max bid, when the auction is about to end it places your max bid. It places only 1 time your max bid.

By placing your bid early you just drive up the price up for yourself... what's the point? This way you just place your max bid anyway but don't drive the price up for yourself.

A snipe bot works on the principle that it puts in a bid so late - and we are talking just 1 or 2 seconds - that even if there was another person whom had entered a higher value final bid, it cannot be applied because of the delay between bid / next bid.

The actual bidding process is the same though - you enter your maximum bid into the snipe program and the bot will then enter that bid, in full, to the ebay server with only a second or two to spare; this will mostly come down to how fast your connection is, a very fast connection can reduce the time the snipe bot has to "lead" with it's bid to take signal lag into consideration, in turn giving less time for the ebay server to work on it before timeout. Then it is down to the ebay server to run through each bidders maximums, and this is where the the snipe bot shows its advantage, because the ebay server cannot apply each bidders maximum bid at the same time, it has to sequence them - very fast obviously, but still in sequence, and the timeout stops with precision regardless of where it was in the sequence, the software is not allowed to just look for the highest bid because then it wouldn't be an auction in the strict sense of the format. So you can win an auction with a lower maximum bid than someone who didn't use a snipe bot with a much higher final bid, theoretically even against another snipe bot if yours came in after.

Which is why snipe bots exist.

Some other auction sites (usually dealing in high value items) do not have a fixed end time but continue past the scheduled end time until ten minutes have passed without a bid.

Why wouldn't you bid early? You see an item and decide how much it's worth to you. You then put that as your high bid. It doesn't matter if that's 5 seconds or 5 days before the auction ends.

Bidding early means you probably either don't win or you pay more than you need to. Not all bidders bid only once and put in their maximum bid.

This a very simplified example:

Bidding early:

Item starts at £1. Bidder 1 thinks it's worth £100, bids £100 early, and is the current highest bidder. Current price is £1.
Bidder 2 also thinks it's worth £100, sees the item at £1 with 1 bid, bids £2, gets outbid, current price goes to £2.20.
Bidder 2 bids £3, gets outbid again. Carries on bidding until they are the highest bidder at £101, wins auction.

Bidding at very near auction ending:

Item starts at £1. Bidder 1 thinks it's worth £100.
Bidder 2 also thinks it's worth £100, bids £1 early. Current price is £1 and is the current highest bidder.
2 seconds before auction ends, bidder 1 bids £100. Wins auction with £1.20 as final price.

If you win, you should only pay slightly more than the second highest bid, you don't pay your maximum bid. In effect the final price is actually decided by the second highest bid, not the winner's maximum bid. Unless the second highest bid is just slightly less than the winner's maximum bid.

If there is only one bidder, they will win at the starting price, regardless of their maximum bid.

Remember, all the bidding is practically anonymous, you can't really tell if bids are genuine or not.

It's a question of psychology more often than not. If you decide an item is worth £100, then bidding £100 at the very end keeps you to that amount.

I'd you bid £100 early, and then see yourself outbid at £105, it's very easy to think "ok, I'll just go to £110".

In addition to this, the person that thought the item was worth £105 now sees you've outbid them to £110, and thinks "ok, I'll just go to £125".

Rinse and repeat

I also don't get the last minute bidding. I do as others have said stick my maximum bid down and walk away and forget it. The example above only works if everyone bids in £1 increments and nobody puts in their maximum bid and the reality is most things on eBay these days tend to go for what they are worth and often more than they can be bought for elsewhere. One thing not discussed so far is that if a item is at £80 with me being the highest bidder and you bid £100 at the last second but I've already got my maximum bid as £100 then I'll win because I was first to bid that amount.

I think people often see that they get outbid by £1 and think oh for the sake of £2 more I could have had that but that's a false view because yes you lost by £1 but you don't know what would have happened if you went bid again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thx for explanation but
i bid on an item (only 2 bidders)
say my max is £1000
other bidder stops at £2
so my bid to win is like £2.20 lets say
my £1000 may be well past reserve but the £2.20 is not

what now?

Steve

I have lost lots from last second bidding
I have also spent ott by doing it

i now stick a bid in and maybe a few more later in the week