Help please - how to sell off cheap lots of beech etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK ,

Time for me to show I am a numpty :oops:

Is this hieroglyphics
:?:

anyone care to explain this first line ?

Its the last 2 bits that I cant understand :oops:

Qty/Length/Width/Thick/m3/ft3
Beech
9 2700 250 55 0.3341 11.79

or is it next weeks lotto numbers :lol:

Blister":1iikshcv said:
Beech

or is it next weeks lotto numbers :lol:

I read it as 9 pieces 2.7metres long 250mm x 55mm section which totals just over 1/3rd of a cubic meter or nearly 12 cu ft if you prefer.

The last two numbers refer to the volume of the plank in, firstly, cubic metres and then in cubic feet. I think. I hope that's what you're asking anyway. :)
John

Hey, just realised I've been promoted from "Newbie" to "Woodworker". By the time I'm 99 I may get to "Cabinet Maker" at this rate, although I don't suppose my abilities, (not knowledge, as you can learn so much here), will have improved that much.
Anyway, great forum and if the time spent browsing it were to count I'd have been a "Master Cabinet Maker" a long time ago.
Cheers
John

The cubic feet/metres can help if you want to check the prices with a local supplier. Some people buy timber by cubic feet/metres but I can never get my head around that. I like to make a cut list and then choose the boards accordingly.

Can someone please check my working out? Going on the first line, as Blister posted, and Ross said it'd be at the top end of his Kiln Dried Quote, so I'll guess £16 per cube.

Beech

11.79 / 9 = 1.31 ft3 per board
£16.00 x 1.31 = £20.96 per physical board

Or have got got that totally wrong?

PP: Wait til you get to 10k posts. You'll be a pro mutterer :lol:

Wizer, I'm just not fast enough nowadays.

How the hell some of you manage to turn out the work you do and still contribute so much to this forum is beyond me.

Takes me a day to work out how I'm going to chop a log for firewood.

Regards

John

Jlawrence,I can cope with a small car load around 2 cu.ft.
boards no longer than 2 mtrs. 2 or 3" thick and 8" wide.
Enough beech to make a new bench.

Or could take more if a group hire a van perhaps.

I'm in Paignton, Devon.

I have worked out how much sycamore I would like as long as the offer from Dibs still stands.

Working out as follows
Total voume divided by the number of boards times price per cu ft.
13.15 / 23 = 0.57 x 17.50 = £9.98 per board or about £11.50 including VAT.

On this basis I will buy 10 boards (30mm thick) to make up my 5 cu ft.

Bob

bobscarle":3fyj5i3p said:
I have worked out how much sycamore I would like as long as the offer from Dibs still stands.

Working out as follows
Total voume divided by the number of boards times price per cu ft.
13.15 / 23 = 0.57 x 17.50 = £9.98 per board or about £11.50 including VAT.

On this basis I will buy 10 boards (30mm thick) to make up my 5 cu ft.

Bob

Bob

From looking at Ross's post - that's 10 boards each at 2m long? In which no probs.

As long as you aren't in a rush - i.e. I don't know exactly what date the wife wants to visit her folks but they usually go down for 1 of the 2 weeks of school hols around Xmas time.

Between them arriving here & dropping them off - the workshop would be weather tight - so storage won't be a problem. Push come to shove - I'll hide them in the house somewhere. :wink:

Dibs

Dibs

Thats great, thank you. Yes please, 10 boards 30mm thick by 2m long and no rush at all.

Can I assume that you will be dropping the boards off whilst wearing a rather fetching red coat and (fake?) beard in the middle of the night? :wink:

Bob

bobscarle":212iypdf said:
Dibs

Thats great, thank you. Yes please, 10 boards 30mm thick by 2m long and no rush at all.

Can I assume that you will be dropping the boards off whilst wearing a rather fetching red coat and (fake?) beard in the middle of the night? :wink:

Bob

Nope it's a real beard. As for the red coat and at night - you couldn't pay enough for that to happen. :wink:

Hi chaps,

It's getting tricky to follow this thread and work out who wants what and separate the enquiries from the firm orders.

So......

I'd like to ask, please, that when you have a definite order for us, you send me an email (to [email protected]) with the relevant details.

In the meantime I'll do my best to get a board or two planed up and photo'ed for you.

Cheers,
Ross.

Sorry, things have been very very busy round here so it's taken me a while to get these pics posted up here.

This a sample of two of the beech boards. Very nice too. "pinky beech" as we call it. No editing has been done on these by the way, just straight off the SD card.

P1000868.jpg

P1000871.jpg

P1000873.jpg

Doh! Quite right, not the best board choice to photograph...

And not a representative sample on reflection, just the top two from a stack and I was (as is evident) in a hurry.

Now if I was you, I probably wouldn't believe me either, so what we plan to do is take a few boards and plane them up and photograph them, so watch this space.

am in the process of organising a group run from the lincolnshire area to collect beech and sycamore from Ross so far there are 2 onboard so if anyone else is interested please shout now as will be making final arrangements soon. Hope to have the run completed 3 weeks from now

I'm just back from Jedburgh, with about 12 cuft of beech, 5 of sycamore and a couple of oak to top off the pile in the van. I'll see if I can get some photos up tomorrow. Good day and a good run over, thanks Keith and Ross. :D

Latest posts

Back