Help please - how to sell off cheap lots of beech etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobscarle":3gc8pt4r said:
I'd be up for a day at the seaside. Who's going to arrange the sunshine? Actually I do need to go to Axminster...hmmmmmmmmm

Bob

See how the thread develops, Yandles have a day coming up soon as well.

I've stayed out of the thread due to the distance. If someone within say 50 miles of me (London end of the M11) was getting some delivered then I'd be interested in say £100 - 150 worth of 30mm thick Beech that I could collect in/on the car.

Hi Ross

As a guitar maker ( hobbyist ) I would be interested in acquiring some 2 inch sycamore, but preferably curly/flamed if you have it. Although I can also use the plainer stuff.
I don`t do the furniture thing so I don`t need a vast amount and storage for me is a problem so I wouldn`t be able to take more than 3 or 4 cube.
If anyone was organising a trip up for a big load I wouldn`t mind travelling to meet them on the way back.
I`m in north Notts

Limpet":vebqav71 said:
Hi Ross

As a guitar maker ( hobbyist ) I would be interested in acquiring some 2 inch sycamore, but preferably curly/flamed if you have it.

We have had some nice rippled stuff in amongst the stock we've been using in recent months.

If and when we come across some we can certainly put it aside for you.

The tricky thing is that the wood is currently stacked out in the yard in big stickered lots so the quality of it is only evident when the stacks have manually been loaded into the kiln.

RobertMP":19kq7in4 said:
I've stayed out of the thread due to the distance. If someone within say 50 miles of me (London end of the M11) was getting some delivered then I'd be interested in say £100 - 150 worth of 30mm thick Beech that I could collect in/on the car.

There must be a way to deliver a large amount if we all chip in. We'd need to work out somewhere central for us southern softies to deliver/store/pickup

If it is as far south as you Wizer then I would certainly be interested in some 1" and 2" beech for a bench - about 10 cu ft or so. I havent joined the thread until now since you cannot get much further south than me without getting your feet wet in the English Channel :roll:

Steve.

In that case I don't mind being a delivery point, as long as pickup is within a week. I'd probably want about 5 cube of Sycamore.

Anyone else local want any? I'm near Dartford.

Just a thought, and I hope DibsH doesn't mind me mentioning the fact....

He's up north (near Manchester), and we spoke about his plan to come south to collect some school woodwork benches he knows about - Northampton way (Corby I think). So, if he's getting a van, and peeps want benches and/or wood, is there a way to get the van to the wood / the wood to the van, fill it up, off load on the way down, pick up the benches, and unload those on the way back? Makes one trip into two useful journeys... :?:

The benches in question are school woodwork / metalwork types, going pretty cheap, so if anyone north of the midlands (I.E. M1 / M62 corridor) was interested, perhaps they can contact me, and I'll discuss it with Dibs?

Of course, it would make more sense for someone near him to travel down / back - sharing driving / loading in and out. Everyone interested in using the space in the van (up or down) chips in towards the costs etc.

Useful, or no takers? Apologies to those further south, but thats as far as I can suggest - unless there's a drop off for wood in Northampton(ish) area, and DibsH / co-driver don't mind?

I'm happy to provide unloading and short term storage for a fair amount if theres a need.

I have at my disposal a warehouse in maldon in essex, and a 1.5tonne forklift for unloading, so just give me a shout if i can be of any use

Regards

Andy

Cheers 'Bvt

Yes I am hoping to go down to Corby at some point to get some benches - assuming they are still about and have some, but better get the workshop built first. :D

I've been following this thread and realising how value for money the timber is, have been umming and aghing for a few days whether and how much to get - knowing that the storage space isn't exactly going short but SWMBO doesn't exactly want more woodworking\tool\timber about the house.

I'm going thru some of the things on the list I've got in mind for the next 12-18 months and trying to work out the timber requirement and whether I would want (or more importantly SWMBO) it in sycamore\beech\birch.

Also - more to Ross, what's the availability (at the sort of prices you mentioned) of this timber? i.e. available till end of Sep or Nov? A guesstimate will do. Or you have that much it will take some time to shift?

Also depending on how much I'm getting and what I'm driving up in (as well as when I suppose) for those individuals wanting a small qty - if I'm able to fit it in, I'd be happy to pickup some for others, and then drop it off on one of my runs to the Midlands or thereabouts. Perhaps drop it off with someone else, and you could collect it from there?

But at this point as you can all see from my other (workshop build) thread I have that much on - it's all about priorities and nothing is for certain, other than I need to finish the workshop.

Dibs

Dibs-h":n6puepqg said:
Also - more to Ross, what's the availability (at the sort of prices you mentioned) of this timber? i.e. available till end of Sep or Nov? A guesstimate will do. Or you have that much it will take some time to shift?

Also depending on how much I'm getting and what I'm driving up in (as well as when I suppose) for those individuals wanting a small qty - if I'm able to fit it in, I'd be happy to pickup some for others, and then drop it off on one of my runs to the Midlands or thereabouts. Perhaps drop it off with someone else, and you could collect it from there?

But at this point as you can all see from my other (workshop build) thread I have that much on - it's all about priorities and nothing is for certain, other than I need to finish the workshop.

Hi Dibs,

I see youre in West Yorks, Im over in York, but Im away till early December.

I've been chatting to Ross about some beech for a bench, Im guessing about 7cuft or so of the 50mm stuff, but not till December. He says that would probably be fine!

So if youre looking to go up in December, I'd be happy to share costs. If thats too late then dont worry.

Mikey R":e0hhoa72 said:
Hi Dibs,

I've been chatting to Ross about some beech for a bench, Im guessing about 7cuft or so of the 50mm stuff, but not till December. He says that would probably be fine!

So if youre looking to go up in December, I'd be happy to share costs. If thats too late then dont worry.

Given my construction schedule - it may well end up being December to be honest.

Besides I'd probably pass York on the way out. I just need to work out what and how much of the stuff - 'cos by Oct\Nov storage certainly won't be an issue.

As and when I(we) go - I'll certainly put a post up on the forum if some spare capacity exists - probably will as it will be less hassle to just hire a van than mess about.

Dibs

Dibs-h":1xicmxcn said:

Dibs, all good questions!

what's the availability (at the sort of prices you mentioned) of this timber?
We need to shift it so the price is held until we sell it. So if it takes until December to work through it, no problem, it stays cheap until then. Having said that we'd like to process it asap for cashflow reasons. But no panic for your guys and I'll keep you posted on availability.

Or you have that much it will take some time to shift?
Yes, that is the case - our kilning capacity is the limiting factor so we can't convert it all from air dried to kiln dried in one batch. To put some figure on it, what I will do (next week now as our timber guy Keith is off site doing some Woodmizer cutting) is get a (very) rough estimate of what volume of beech/sycamore/birch is out in the yard and approximate thicknesses available.

RobertMP":oucrwmyt said:

Robert, i am based in chingford, and have a van, so if there is any coming this way would happily drop yours off to you.

Dibs-h":qhb74yed said:
Mikey R":qhb74yed said:
Hi Dibs,

Given my construction schedule - it may well end up being December to be honest.

Besides I'd probably pass York on the way out. I just need to work out what and how much of the stuff - 'cos by Oct\Nov storage certainly won't be an issue.

As and when I(we) go - I'll certainly put a post up on the forum if some spare capacity exists - probably will as it will be less hassle to just hire a van than mess about.

Dibs

Dibs, Mike, I would like to jump in with you if you don't mind? I'm in Scarborough. I'm in the process of building my shed, so December would be ideal.

Phil

alex s":223va4f2 said:
Robert, i am based in chingford, and have a van, so if there is any coming this way would happily drop yours off to you.

Thanks for the offer. I wouldn't get your hopes too high of this coming off. Transport costs will be high and it will be a bit of a headache for someone sorting out lots for us small users. Great if it does happen but I'm not going to be too disappointed if it doesn't.

Dibs - Mikey...

I'm also in Yorkshire and would be interested in either some beach or maybe some sycamore.

Can maybe jump in or assist with you guys, if that's ok?

Back