HELP metal radiator grille c*$k up!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drudgeon

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made 3 radiator covers for a client, they were to match 2 I previously made, the grilles were brushed steel, I ordered the new grilles but in my haste it seems I order the wrong ones, I have ordered polished rather than brushed, they are cut to size and therefore non refundable.

I just wondered if anyone knows if I could "Matt them down" with some wet & dry and an orbital? Or any other method? They are not in the same room as the previous ones so if the finish is fractionally different it won't matter, but they just need to be matt.

Failing that it's 300 quid down the drain but there you go, live and learn :roll: :( :?

Yes I was thinking something along those lines, unfortunately I have no wastage/off-cuts to test it on, as I ordered it cut to size.

Try some fine (240 grit) sand paper on them. Use a block and try to keep it rubbing in a straight line. Either up and down or left to right depending how the other looked. If you start doing swirly random sanding I'd have thought it would look cack. Try it, what's the worse that could happen ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I actually tried that in the corner with some 320, but to be honest it didn't look great,

oh well failing that I guess I could always try selling the grilles lol (hammer)

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys, please keep them coming, I'm not back in the workshop till the end of the week now so I've got a few days to think about the best solution.

Engineering shop always use to borrow our makita belt sander with 100 grit belts for finishing off stainless steel they were welding. It use to look good but had to stop loaning it out after it got returned damaged one time. Try a belt sander on the back if you've got one- keep it straight as before. have you got any pictures of what you're trying to match ?

Hmm thanks Coley, that sounds promising, I have got pics of the old ones so I can compare, as has been said previsouly, I've not got anything to lose, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks again

Was always surprised how many belts they use to take and not return so I guess it must fairly quickly eat the belts up. The other nuisance with loaning it out was it would always come back with metal bits in every nook and cranny (all around the wheels) and if not cleaned out properly use to drip feed on the wood for days after.
Good luck with it ;)

Have a look and see if you have a metal finishing shop near you, that sounds like it should be a simple job for their likes.

Many thanks for the help and replies, I called a metal fabricator I know earlier to ask his opinion, (can't believe I didn't think of him first) and he said just drop them in, they have a machine that will do it, so that's that sorted for the cost of a small drink, so all's well.

:D

Back