HELP , is this an ebay scam ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife has sold an item on ebay, is the following message a scam (as I strongly suspect)

Okay consider it sold to me for £1,950 and end the auction. I will make payment directly from secure Paypal website because I have reached buying limit on eBay. I add extra £50 which I have confirmed will cover postage through International postage and I will pay total of £2,000. I want it deliver to my cousin at abroad because I'm currently military camp and there is no way I could handle postage from here.

Get back to me with your P-a-y-P-a-l email and also ebay username or item number so that I don't pay wrong person. Send it direct to my email which is xxxx®h0tm.a.i.l+C0mjj (pls correct it).

I have altered part of his email for anonymity

Not sure what you mean by sold an item on eBay as the person is effectively wanting to do a deal outside of eBay. Of course it's a scam. You should only ship to the PayPal registered address. There is no such thing as a buying limit on eBay. They will use a hacked PP account or fake credit card and when PP detect it the money is reversed out and your wife isn't covered for seller protection as it was a private deal not done through eBay.

Cheers
Andy

Don't touch it with a bargepole. Let him bid properly and go through the proper channels. If he's genuine, you wife will get her sale, if he isn't she stands to lose everything.

As Andy & Steve have said - 24 Carat scam

No such thing as a buying limit
Communicating outside Ebay
Shipping overseas
3rd party delivery

Setting you up for a PayPal charge-back scam. Report it to Ebay and cancel the sale, make sure you file for a refund of your sellers fees.

+ what the others said.

I guess you knew the answer before you asked the question really. When it smells of scam it's scam!

Bob

But you can lead him by the nose and let him think he's got you. Waste his time.

I did with one scammer 'flogging' a Discovery. Got to the point where I had his bank details and allegedly his address. So went to the Old Bill. Surprise..surprise..not interested.

Back