help- in need of some very basic advice/guidance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinr

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been looking online for a few days and getting mixed answers to my questions, and there is a possibility of buying locally some used items from a chap giving up the hobby so please could i ask some basic questions...

i want to have a play with woodturning with a view to making simple lamp bases and possibly some bowls (the wife is asking for the latter). i was given a coronet hobby lathe that appears to be workable, however it is missing a device to hold the wood onto its spindle, and from what i can gather i need either a centre drive or a chuck.

can anyone advise me whether both items are desirable or one better than the other. i need to work out what centre drive i need as said chap above has some for sale but there is also a record rp4000 chuck for sale locally at what seems like a sensible price.

following on from that, is there a basic set of tools that as a beginner i should compile from the outset. again i have the opportunity to buy used ones but do not want to buy anything at this stage unnecessarily.

finally the lathe i have, from the outset is it worth persevering with an old item like this or would i be better from the outset looking for a newer used lathe.

many thanks

First invest a few quid in "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley, second, try to get to a club. Both will save you wasting money on stuff you don't need, and teach you to avoid accidents. Where in Cornwall are you? Your lathe is probably as good if not better than some "starter" lathes on the market now. Look after it and you'll probably sell it on for what you paid for it.

Centre drives are for spindle turning between centres, such things as tool handles, candle sticks and the like.
If the lathe came with a faceplate then ..turning bowls is a possibility (have a look at the help sticky) but are more difficult/not so easy as if you have a self centring four jaw chuck with appropriate accessory jaws.
If you are contemplating buying a chuck make sure that the thread is of the correct form to match the lathe spindle.

+ 1 for the 'The Foundation course' book, it will give you a lot of answers to the basics and a guide to what you need for your intended projects.
it would seem it is getting difficult to find, if all else fails you might try your local library to see if they can get you a copy.

If it helps, I have managed to start from nothing to managing to turn some basic spindle items with the aforementioned book and a bit of help from YouTube. I haven't looked at bowls yet, because of limited time but the book is well worthwhile. At the moment it is time and practice that are holding me back, the book tells me nicely what to do when I get the chance.

a faceplate, a nice chuck, a big bowl gouge, a squew and a parting chisel and you can do pretty much anything. i started turning recently and have made lidded pots, bowls, pens, candlesticks, beads, all manner of things and that's pretty much all i use.

also a roughing gouge, a center drive and a screw chuck come in handy.

Thanks for the replies. That book, or rather earlier versions, can be found very cheaply on used book websites so I will order one.

I'm still a bit unsure about the chuck element. I know of a record rp4000 for sale, would this do for all jobs to begin (I.e candlesticks, spindles and bowls) or is a chuck specific to open ended turning projects like bowls?

incidently, anyone have any views on a record cl2-36 lathe?

Hi Gavin

Chucks are mainly used for bowl turning and drive centres for spindle turning, but you can buy drive centres which fit into the chuck rather than the lathe so that you are essentially using the chuck for spindle work.

Have a look at www.turningtools.co.uk for some good reliable information.

gavinr":1px1lnh4 said:
Thanks for the replies. That book, or rather earlier versions, can be found very cheaply on used book websites so I will order one.

I'm still a bit unsure about the chuck element. I know of a record rp4000 for sale, would this do for all jobs to begin (I.e candlesticks, spindles and bowls) or is a chuck specific to open ended turning projects like bowls?

incidently, anyone have any views on a record cl2-36 lathe?
Hi Gavin
You can use the Record RP4000 for spindle and bowl turning, just check if the spindle on the Coronet is 3/4" x 16tpi.

My son has a Record CL2 lathe, built to last!

Regards Keith

Just wanted to say thanks to phil p for the Keith rowley book recommendation. I found a copy for 3quid including postage and it is exactly the basic source on info I was looking for. Cheers.

Back