Hello from Ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat G

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for having me.
I enjoy pottering about with wood out in my garage, building simple garden furniture etc with my trusty power tools (God bless Argos,Lidl and Aldi)

I get great satisfaction from successfully building wooden things but its the ability to finish that I struggle with.

well if it helps you make your choice of finish depending on where your item is going to live eg outside exposed to all the elements or within a building eg shed or greenhouse or garage . Then choose a finish that will cope w with your chosen environment . When it comes to applying your finish it’s no different to home decorating - the better the preparation the better the finish .draughts and dust are your enemy so try to avoid doing anything to exaggerate this . Maybe clean up 1st and let things settle down , use tack cloths to remove any dust that may have settled on your work . If paint or varnish rub down between coats with 320 grit paper etc . Once painted stay out of the room . There are some pretty good spray systems worth exploring .. I’m no expert but l like to achieve a professional finish if possible ..

but its the ability to finish that I struggle with.

Theres a joke there... ;) :LOL:

Anyway.
Right finishing a project can be achieved by not bothering to finish it. At least not straight away. Put it on the back burner so to speak and start another.
That project stalls, and you start another until you have 5 opr 7 waiting in the wings.

NOW you can finish the first one. You've started project 7 or so, hit that wall and are looking about for something else to do. So you potter about with the first, or third or whatever one(usually dependent on what tools you have littering the bench)
You have a creative mind, but are being held back by something like adhd or along those lines. Maybe undiagnosed or the need to find something exciting to fill a hole, which is the rush a new project gives you. But as you know, finishing the dam thing, especially if it takes longer than expected, is causing a problem. So getting lots of half/mostly unfinished projects sitting waiting is the best solution to this long known about problem.

You will find that 99% of all the great artists and designers have loads of half finished projects on the go. Unless you're working to specifics - for someone, or to achieve something that is really needed, those jobs you do in a oner, but stuff that pops into your head, its best to have lots of them.

Thanks guys for the welcome and tips on finishing.

I suppose it boils down to a lack of patience really but as Triton said,if I kept a few things on the go at the same time, and left the drying items out of sight it would be a good plan.

In the future I would like to produce simple wooden items to sell to finance the purchase of some new tools.

Latest posts

Back