Hello again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlewisrlou66

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,
I signed up a while ago and had just bought a Draper WTL30 it sat under the stairs of my old house for a year with no use. I recently moved and now have a small 6 x 8 shed that have set the Draper up in.
The Draper is not the greatest lathe in the world by a long shot but it serves a purpose for now and I am making things and learning as I go. I am getting a Myford ML8 soon that needs a lot of TLC so maybe a long project.
I have a few questions for you more experienced out there.

The Draper has a few issues that need sorting.
1) The tail stock assembly has a quick release and a set screw but the tail stock has a lot of play in it. If I tighten the quick release there is still a lot of play in it, If I tighten the set screw there is not as much play but I cannot move the tail stock.
2) The speed pulleys at the spindle end not motor end has 2 set screws but they don't seem to bite well enough. If I get a catch it will knock the pulleys out of alignment making the shed stink of burning rubber.
3) General question about eliminating vibrations.

On to the Myford.
What is the best way to tackle a full tear down rebuild and respray? Does anyone have any links or advice on the best way to go about it.
It has some/a lot of rust and the paint has seen better days the Myford bench is also rusty and in need of some tlc.

Thanks in Advance Ryan

Rlewisrlou66":1hdpvng3 said:
The Draper has a few issues that need sorting.
1) The tail stock assembly has a quick release and a set screw but the tail stock has a lot of play in it. If I tighten the quick release there is still a lot of play in it, If I tighten the set screw there is not as much play but I cannot move the tail stock.
2) The speed pulleys at the spindle end not motor end has 2 set screws but they don't seem to bite well enough. If I get a catch it will knock the pulleys out of alignment making the shed stink of burning rubber.
3) General question about eliminating vibrations.
1) See page 11 in the manual http://www.drapertools.com/products/manuals/55951ins.pdf
2) Remove the spindle pulley and see whether there is a flat on the spindle. If there is not then file/grind a flat and reassemble with the grub screws aligned with the flats. Stop getting catches.
3) Not very good with general questions so I will leave to others.

I hope this will go some way to solving your problem.

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill

I have tried to adjust the screw the way it says but there is still play in the tail stock, I might pull it apart to see if there is any weird wear on the inside that is causing it to wobble.
I took the pulley off and the flat spots seemed to be ok I'll give them a file down just in case though. Would filing the screws ends help too?

Ryan

The manual shows a brass slug beneath the quick release X. Is it in place?

The screw W is there to help the tail stock align when you slide along the bed. I do not see how it could effect the locking of the tail stock.

The problems are separate and each needs its own solution. IMO.

Bill

Hmm I'll pull it apart once the kids settle down for the night and check if the brass slugs are in place or if worn.
The guy I bought it off didn't seem to know a lot about the lathe and he said he was new to turning.

Thanks again Bill

The Mrs took the kids over to the shop to get some bit so I ran out and inspected the brass slug in the tail stock and it is worn to a wedge and wasn't offering any resistance at all on the bed.
For now I flipped it around and it has eliminated the rocking. Thanks for the help Bill

The next question is where can I get a length of brass rod to make a replacement slug? The one at the tool rest end has seen better days too.

Now you know what the problem is it may be worth contacting draper to see if they can supply a replacement
Another suggestion is to search Ebay there are numerous metal suppliers who sell on there.

Back