Heated work jackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is your workshop? I have a 60m2 workshop currently, and I did consider one of these jackets, but in the end I got a small propane heater that I turn on a couple of times through cold days for a few minutes and its enough to bring the temperature up to within a perfect working range.

TL;DR: have 1 such jacket experience - do not recommend

My workshop is also unheated and I own one of those jackets (some far eastern noname) which works from any power bank with a USB socket.
Could not get on with the jacket and prefer to put on more layers than use such jacket.
- Small/light battery does not last. Large battery makes it too heavy and uncomfortable
- When I move about the workshop in the heated jacket it gets uncomfortably warm in just few minutes so I have to keep turning it off and on (mostly off)
- my jacket has reflective (non breathable) inner layer which causes excessive perspiration

I could see this jacked being useful if I sat in one spot all day (not moving much), but if that was the case I probably won't be sitting in the workshop.

If I was to consider such jacked again it would have to have two improvements
1. no plastic (non breathable) layers
2. some way of spreading the weight of the battery evenly and without asymmetric bulge anywhere

Anyone have any experience of these? Here link to DeWalt but could be any brand - just getting a feeling for them for use in unheated workshop.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...oftshell-jacket-black-large-42-44-chest/328pg
Thanks
Hi Steve, I have one of these jackets and they are pretty good, you get around 2 hours on the high setting and 4-5 on the lower settings. The battery pack while bulky is located on the back of the jacket and doesn’t interfere with movement.
The feature to charge a phone whilst in your pocket is very useful.
Jesmona

TL;DR: have 1 such jacket experience - do not recommend

My workshop is also unheated and I own one of those jackets (some far eastern noname) which works from any power bank with a USB socket.
Could not get on with the jacket and prefer to put on more layers than use such jacket.
- Small/light battery does not last. Large battery makes it too heavy and uncomfortable
- When I move about the workshop in the heated jacket it gets uncomfortably warm in just few minutes so I have to keep turning it off and on (mostly off)
- my jacket has reflective (non breathable) inner layer which causes excessive perspiration

I could see this jacked being useful if I sat in one spot all day (not moving much), but if that was the case I probably won't be sitting in the workshop.

If I was to consider such jacked again it would have to have two improvements
1. no plastic (non breathable) layers
2. some way of spreading the weight of the battery evenly and without asymmetric bulge anywhere
Thanks for info

Hi Steve, I have one of these jackets and they are pretty good, you get around 2 hours on the high setting and 4-5 on the lower settings. The battery pack while bulky is located on the back of the jacket and doesn’t interfere with movement.
The feature to charge a phone whilst in your pocket is very useful.
Jesmona
Thanks for info

Back