Heads up - XT700 chuck for £59 incl delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Glad you're pleased with the chuck :)

When you say, 'Not as well made as the SN2', are you referring to the surface finish or something else?

Do you notice any difference in the product using the Dakota over the SN2?

Regards Mick

I gave them a real side by side comparison and here's my ten penneth.

The action of the sliding of the jaws was more clunky in the Dakota vs the Nova which is extremely smooth. The outside of the body is sharper to the touch and there is no grub screw to help lock the insert in place which is a little un-nerving at first.

In essence the Nova is better finished, smoother in many senses. But the run out ie the most important aspect was no different so it is accurate. I found the jaws a little "punctuated" when locking onto either a bowl recess or the woodworm screw. This may just be "running in" and the burrs etc might get knocked off in time.

I figure for under £60 a bit of roughness isn't a biggy but its certainly heavy and I'm by no means unhappy. I'm going to install the cole jaws on my Nova now and keep the Dakota for regular bowl mounting with the 2" jaws mounted. I've also recently bought a spur centre that fits in the chuck, that means I never need to directly mount a spur drive centre in the spindle now, the chuck can take all my accessories.

Random Orbital Bob":1cmqwmbx said:
I've also recently bought a spur centre that fits in the chuck, that means I never need to directly mount a spur drive centre in the spindle now, the chuck can take all my accessories.
Slightly off topic ( but you started it :) ) I have one of those, saves a lot of mucking about. I also have a steb centre which fits in the chuck and thats great. So easy to 'engage'

Random Orbital Bob":2a1vsmbd said:
I've never tried a steb centre...what do you think of it?
I like it. Just put the centre in the chuck and push the wood up against it gently, move up the tailstock and tighten down gently. The tighter you wind the live centre in the harder irt will push the wood onto the stab centre teeth. Conversely, the lighter you tighten the tail centre the easier the stab centre will let the wood stop spinning when you get a catch.

Win Win.

Random Orbital Bob":35do82sk said:
I've never tried a steb centre...what do you think of it?

Hi

If your pocket can stand the price then go for it - the best drive centres available in my opinion - I've owned and used them since they were produced. :D

Regards Mick

Back