has anyone turned 'Oscars' - hollywood theme party

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddsocks

Established Member
Reaction score
My Mother in Law is 70 and we are having a large family and friends party in August with the theme of 'Hollywood'.

In an unguarded moment last weekend I suggested there should be oscars awarded to various catagories. In translation (man to woman) this apparently means I am turning the 'oscars' (or something representative of an oscar). Has anyone done similar and have a photo (front and side) I can attempt to mimic?

I don't want to do any carving but can cut the turned shape on the bandsaw if necessary to make it more oscar like than a round spindle.....this sounded relatively easy task until I started to think it through!

I will eventually post my efforts!

EDIT 10 August - final pic of the 11 oscars and the special 'Sylvia award now posted on page 2

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've never done any but there is a (relativley) simple method for turning a "lady form" using an offset/off centre turning. I'm affraid I can't be much more help than this. Perhaps a Google may bring something up?? Off centre turning, although an area that fascinates me, really makes my head hurt when trying to do any kind of planning for it!!!
000202FE.gif

Richard

P.S I've turned many bases for trophies etc, this is probably the simplest part though!!!

thanks Richard - google hasn't helped so far (will try tomorrow when not so tired). I have attempted offset turning on a small scale some years ago and made a complete hash of it!

I can tell this is going to be a learning experience. If I can I'll get into the workshop at the weekend and have a go

Thanks for the image Chas - I had just printed out what looks to be the same one face on - i'd missed that one with the side view.

Not quite an Oscar Dave,but perhaps something along these lines might help :D
All turned in seperate pieces.Hat.Head.Body.Legs,and arms.

woodsoldier1.jpg

woodsoldier.jpg

Hi Dave
I have a pdf file on Lady pen if you pm me your email address I will send it to you it is 1mb in size

Sorry for the delay - short notice redundancy has taken my focus for the past couple of weeks!!!

This is the draft version that got the seal of approval last weekend - the figure is from a 20mm thick beech offcut approx 50mm wide and 130mm tall (plus spigot). The base is a separate piece and all is sprayed with gray primer and gold paint. The final versions will be also on a dark wood plinth that my wife will use crafting 'peel offs' to describe the award. I've got to make 9 more next weekend so will post a few 'how to' pics.

The shape allows the head and legs to be approximately round whilst keeping the torso square. This is a bit of fun at the party so I didn't want to go into offset turning etc, but will as a separate challenge try to make the ladypen.

3699044266_9544e03e80.jpg

Dave I was going to suggest the figures that John Hunnex makes, the one you have made is similar to them, have a google search for his design.
Regards Chris.

Chrisp":1e98s1xo said:
Dave I was going to suggest the figures that John Hunnex makes, the one you have made is similar to them, have a google search for his design.
Regards Chris.

Thanks Chris - I actually have his book ' a source book of shapes' but had completely forgotton that he has a couple of pages with figures in it at the end! His figures are of 'normal' people but I need the oscar to be shaped with the slimmer lower half so that the worthly winner can hold it one handed in victory during their acceptance speech :)

I think I'll use slightly thinner wood for my final set to make them look a bit more elegant.

Dave

The Hollywood party took place last Saturday on an excellent sunny and dry day :)

In the end I turned 11 golden oscars and a silver 'Sylvia' Award (it was my MIL's 70th birthday party). The award ceremony went down very well and the winners were really pleased :).

Each golden oscar was made in 3 pieces - the body turned between centres from a 20mm thick hardwood offcut 150 x 50mm, the gold and black plinths bowl turned from hot melt clue chuck that was the finished diameter. The Sylvia was the same technique but bigger. With each plinth on the lathe I used a drill in the tail stock to define the centre, making it easy to assemble with a single screw through the base into the body.

Karen (SWIMBO) used gold peel off craft letters on each

3808567175_209cf21fae.jpg

That is really cool...love it. So nice to see something completely different. Also admire the fact that you did that many the same.

Pete

Thanks Pete and Jenx - I seem to get talked into these things and go at it with an attitude that it must be possible (by which time the invitations had been sent out).

I tend to use the lathe as a means to an end.....not quite on topic, but I went as Errol Flynn as Robin Hood in black and white (too late we realised that although 1936 it was the first film in technicolor!).

I used the lathe to turn the top and bottom of the quiver. The bow was an offcut of iroko and the arrows just cut on the bandsaw and slightly rounded on the sander.
offcuts, old clothes, Peacock throwaway belt and leggings, grey primer, plenty of face paint and imagination.....and loss of inhibition as you get older!

3808910839_589e6ec04e.jpg

3809723174_72a8c17443.jpg

Back