Handles For Lie Nielson Chisel's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Okay I love my Lie Nielson chisels, but I hate the gap between the handle and the socket. Could any anyone turn some nice fitting handles for them, they don't have to be the same shape, as long as they are a nice flush fit, and can take a tap from a mallet. I would need 10 handles in total.

I'm new here, so I would pay for them in advance. I sold an Item on here with no problems

Many thanks

Ken ;)

apparently a bit of hairspray in the socket will keep them stuck together.

adidat

powerhouse":d1tlbjs9 said:
... as long as they are a nice flush fit, and can take a tap from a mallet. ..

A small gap between handle collar and socket is essential to allow for the taper seating variations.
To get the sort of fit you are asking for the turner would have to have all the chisels and make each handle to suit individual sockets.
DSC02845[1].jpg

Can you not reduce the taper diameters on your existing handles to suit each socket and reduce the gap to a minimum.

Attachments

• DSC02845[1].jpg
    DSC02845[1].jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 933
powerhouse":1jnxubpc said:
Hi guys
Okay I love my Lie Nielson chisels, but I hate the gap between the handle and the socket.

Pull em off and fill with epoxy ???

Oh !

I have wrong end of stick, i read this to be loose tangs in the handle, hance the epxoy comment,
But you're actually complaining about the shape of the handle...............?.

use this

RO_WF.jpg

- and a file ?????

CHJ":1ka3fvw0 said:
powerhouse":1ka3fvw0 said:
... as long as they are a nice flush fit, and can take a tap from a mallet. ..

A small gap between handle collar and socket is essential to allow for the taper seating variations.
To get the sort of fit you are asking for the turner would have to have all the chisels and make each handle to suit individual sockets.

Can you not reduce the taper diameters on your existing handles to suit each socket and reduce the gap to a minimum.

Hey bud yeah I did that, as the gap on mine were 10mm. thanks for the replays guys ;)

The gap's there so, when the handles shrink, you can whack 'em a bit deeper into the socket (as required). If the socket's already resting on the shoulder of the handle, there's no means of tightening up a loose shrunk handle (apart from epoxy etc). It's traditional.

Alf":1yef4dzl said:
The gap's there so, when the handles shrink, you can whack 'em a bit deeper into the socket (as required).
I'm surprised at the quoted 10mm on LN, any I've made with between 1-2mm clearance have never come back or been reported as being too small.

10mm does seem a little large (but are we sure the handles haven't been in a damp environment and swelled?) while 1-2mm seems a little small to me. Depends so much on the timber of course (the blight of the wood torturer!). F'rinstance LN may be having a quicker turnover of hornbeam these days and were finding shrinkage at the customer end was becoming more of an issue. Dunno, but I'd hate to see folks eliminating the gap because they don't understand why it's there. It'd be like folks rushing out to tighten up the movable hook on the end of their tape measures. :D

CHJ":1g4jkniw said:
Alf":1g4jkniw said:
The gap's there so, when the handles shrink, you can whack 'em a bit deeper into the socket (as required).
I'm surprised at the quoted 10mm on LN, any I've made with between 1-2mm clearance have never come back or been reported as being too small.
1-2mm clearance would have been great. I did know the gap was there to allow the handles to shrink, the 10mm gap was after they had done so and been knocked in deeper. the gap is quit off putting for me, but thats just me, mite not bother others, as it is cometic but spoils the chisel for me. Thanks again
Ken :wink:

Latest posts

Back