hand plane handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all :)

Am giving my hand planes a new lease of life and i am looking for some sort spray lacquer can anyone please help as finishing never bin my strong point . :cry: :oops:

If you have stripped them back to bare wood, then I would use Danish oil as it won't chip. With the inevitable knocks that plane handles get anything that just sits on the surface like lacquer will make any damage very obvious.

Jim

Just a word of caution if finishing rosewood handles; oil finishes can sometimes make them go black. I only mention it 'cos it can be a bit galling to see beautiful streaks of colour in your newly stripped-back tote disappear if you don't want them to. Anyway, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

I used turning friction polish on mine.

Gives a really nice, hard finish. Obviously easy to apply to the front knob (use a drill press if you don't have a lathe) - a bit more elbow grease and doing it in stages is required for the rear handle but still a very good result.

I will post a couple of pics later if I can.

(Also - and I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, don't over sand when restoring the old handles, some of the old marks and dings are part of the plane's age and IMHO should be left in place)

BRgds
S

Friction polish is shellac based IIRC, which is what Philly uses on his planes ..IIRC ;)

Mikey R":1j2qpagp said:
Sorry for the stupid question, but would rosewood even need to be finished at all?
Putting it another way, why does any wood need to be finished? The usual reasons are for protection and looks, and rosewood's no different in that respect.

Cheers, Alf

Back