Hammer A2-26 jointer/thickness planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in search of buying a 230V (EU plug) jointer /thickness planer machine. I have just found out that Felder released this year a brand new Hammer A2-26 jointer thickness planer. It is a bare-bone machine, but looks nice.
https://www.felder-group.com/en-gb/...746/planer-thicknesser-hammer-a2-26-sp2378780 that I have asked them for a quote, but on their site they have price 1438 €, which is around 1250 GBP. Due to space and power constraints, big industrial three-phase machines are out of the equation ( for those who would like me to go that route - you know, who you are :)

Has anybody already purchased this machine (if available in the UK)? I assume the quality will be much better than Holzmann, HolzStar, Bernardo, and similar Chinese generic rebranded machines. It does not have a spiral cutter, but I will get the surface finish quality with hand planes anyway, I just want to remove the bulk quickly and get square and true boards without hassle.

Thank you

Have the a3 - 26 and it’s great. Wider would always be better but it’s solid, easy to adjust and makes the initial stock prep less of a drag.

Have the a3 - 26 and it’s great. Wider would always be better but it’s solid, easy to adjust and makes the initial stock prep less of a drag.
Thanks Tom for the feedback. Wider machines would be out of my price and power range , as they are usually 3 phase. I am just sorry that it will not be as quiet as a spiral cutter, but I will plan my milling operations when I know that neighbors are away.

Be mindful that Hammer UK don't stock any parts as seen in other threads on the forum
I would look at alternatives.
Thank you for the information, but as I live in Slovakia, I would get parts through a local dealer directly from Austria, so I hope it will not be an issue.

Be mindful that Hammer UK don't stock any parts as seen in other threads on the forum
I would look at alternatives.

I've had my A3 31 for 8 years now ( I bought it lightly used from another member on here) and have never needed any parts for it other than new blades, and those came direct from Milton Keynes within 48 hours.....Its always worked faultlessly......Maybe, I've just been fortunate....?

I have the a3 41 and always have had a great experience with the guys at Milton Keynes if I need anything.
I had a awful time with the guys at Milton Keynes , I had a Hammer / Felder N4400 , the cast iron part that the fence attaches onto then hooks onto the sliding rail failed , As I went to tighten the Bristol leaver to hold it in place the casting split and fell into 2 parts , You could see slag in the casting . I was told by The boss at MK I sould think myself lucky that they had a replacement in stock for a 10 year old hobby machine 🤔 OK a 16amp 3 HP bandsaw a hobby unit🤔 , I am so glad they did not build Tower Bridge that is still standing and not fell in the Thames after 100 years , I had to buy a new unit , They did nothing to help me. Won't be using them again.

I don’t blame you, it would leave a bitter taste for me also. I had them over about 2 years ago when I bought mine to help with something. I presume it’s a mixed bag dealing with them.

Truly dreadful arrogant company. And the 260mm one is really small. Basically has silly short beds saw them at harrogate.

I would be curious to know if the name of the city has some connection to the economists Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes.

I would be curious to know if the name of the city has some connection to the economists Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes.
The name is taken from one of the old villages the city was built around, which has since been renamed Middleton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middleton,_Milton_Keynes
I always knew it as "Milton Keynes Village" when I was growing up nearby. Not entirely sure why we didn't call it Middleton.

I have had a Hammer N4400 bandsaw for around 11 or 12 years now. The hinges for the fence were not a great fit - tolerances could have been better. These were replaced when noticed. Other than also replacing the band, it has run flawlessly. Enough power and tension to use a 1" carbide re-saw blade.

The A3-31 thicknesser-jointer is about 8 years old now. Replaced the joint for the guard at the beginning of the year. Still on the original carbide blades ... and I use this machine a LOT on West Australian hardwoods.

The K3 slider is now 5 years old. Needed to lubricate the rise-and-fall earlier this year. Other than that, it runs sweetly.

My local Felder agent is marvellous.

DP12a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Today I received an automatic notification e-mail, that Hammer A2-26 machines are back in stock and I can order them immediately from their e-shop. As I have ordered this machine, when it was out of stock, they gave me a lead time of January 2024. I contacted Felder sales representative to find out if they will send me a machine, as they have them in stock. Machines are shipped directly from the factory in Austria. He contacted the factory and they told him, that I will have to wait for another month because my machine is scheduled to be shipped in late November and the deadline is fixed and they can't do anything about it. I have ordered a stock version of the machine with no customizations.

Would you just wait silently another month or what would you do? I could try to contact the factory directly or try to get it sorted somehow, but I do not want to make enemies, as I might need some technical support from them in the future. I do not know the internal processes of the company, so maybe canceling the order and making a new one on the online shop would not be a good idea.

I can get by without it for another month, but it is a relatively hot autumn, so I would at least make some progress in the shop, if I had the machine sooner.

If I order a stock version machine, I would think that I am ahead of people, who have not ordered a machine yet under the first come, first served accords, but it is definitely not the case here :(

Latest posts

Back