Goodbye Leonard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTeroo

Established Member
Reaction score
Leonard Cohen passed away yesterday :cry: :cry:

The butt of many jokes but loved by myself and millions more.

My world just got a little bit darker. Needless to say I will be working to a Leonard Cohen soundtrack today.

Good luck on the next leg of your journey Leonard and thank you!

Indeed. His first years were as a poet, and this was evident in his lyrics. I always thought Jeff Buckley made the best fist of Hallelujah and brought the words alive.

A better poet and singer than Bob in my opinion. My wife and I were lucky enough to see him in concert at the London O2 a little while ago. With his band and singers they started on time and, with only 1/2 hour break, they were still going when we reluctantly had to leave to get trains etc back to Tewkesbury at just before 11.00pm!!

A total legend and one with so much humility and humanity, he will be missed by more people than you would expect.

Is it true, as I heard this morning, that Hallelujah is the most covered pop song with over 500 versions recorded and many of them superb. Just shows it is the writer who is the most important part of any relationship

Phil

I used to have a video recording of the BBC documentary made in 1988 "Songs From The Life Of Leonard Cohen"

Following him on the road during his tour.

I wore it out :?

Does anyone happen to have a copy of that?

Maybe this event will prompt them to air it again.

Edit:

Been a while since I looked for it and it's on YouTube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcT5ckJvLs

Well worth a watch if you're a fan of Leonard.

My missus was in to his music when I met her in the early 70s but no matter how I tried I just couldn't get it, I thought it was just a derge. He definitely had something though to have such a large following even among his peers. RIP

I agree with Lons. Very talented man and an extremely good lyricist but he didn't do it for me.

There have been a few big stars go to the other side this year. RIP.

Very sad news. I am 65 years old but somehow I didn't discover Leonard until 5 years ago, since then he bought me immense pleasure.

Damn, damn, damn :cry:
What a wordsmith we've lost. They can't last forever unfortunately .
Rest in peace my man.

I won't be mentioning any more of the greats on here again, I'm feeling like a jinx.

Some of his early songs such as Suzanne, Sisters of Mercy and So Long Marianne are real classics and all time favourites of mine. I still enjoy listening to them after all these years.

K

Strange, we were just talking about him recently on another thread.
Saw him play a magical sunset set at Glastonbury a few years ago and been a fan ever since.

We have lost a number of talented people this year but somehow this demise causes me a bit more sadness.A huge talent extinguished.

I learnt to play guitar through Cohens book 'songs in a room', that would have been 1976. Sometime in the early 80's I lent that book to a friend and I haven't seen it since. I can't say I've listened to or played much Cohen since the mid 80's, (although I was always aware that he continued to be popular). However a couple of months ago I came across a used copy of that book for a £1. I couldn't resist, it brought back very fond memories of listening and then trying to play Cohen, all those years ago, a big part of my youth. He had such a great influence on many people, we are all poets of the world. Farewell Leonard.

Back