Glue for polycarbonate sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
Needing to glue some polycarbonate together for a little job. Can find big quantities from trade suppliers but only need a small amount. From what I can tell methylene chloride is the stuff required and the glues for waste pipe come up in searches but no mention of methylene chloride in there info.

Any pointers appreciated :D

Can't help with this but make sure that you don't polish any gluing edges before gluing them.

If you do find something, can you post back- I have small job to do with acrylic which will need the same glue (I think)

I have successfully glued polycarbonate twin wall offcuts together using glue for waste fittings. I don't know how strong or permanent the joints will be but they seemed good when assembled. I glued 6" wide offcuts to insulate a 3 ft wide acrylic roofing sheet so there's no stress there but they are still in place.

K

marcros":1qj62b3u said:
Can't help with this but make sure that you don't polish any gluing edges before gluing them.

If you do find something, can you post back- I have small job to do with acrylic which will need the same glue (I think)

From what I have read glue designed for polycarbonate works on acrylic but glues for acrylic don't necessarily work on polycarbonate.

Yep will post findings

Liquid poly cement that modellers use might work, it is suitable for a wide variety of plastics,

I THINK (not sure) that as above, plastic modeller's glue will work. It's actually called Methyl Ethyl Ketone, but Slaters (the people who do "Plasticard - polystyrene sheet in various thicknesses for modeller's) call their's "MEK Pack".

HTH

AES

EMA plastic weld is dichloromethane ( methylene chloride ), listed as suitable for bonding styrene butyrate , ABS , acrylic, lucite or plexiglas, and perspex.

I use it all the time and it's good stuff, I am primarily a model maker though and cannot 100% vouch for bonding the polycarb that you have.
it's available from most model shops in a little brown glass bottle 57ml size goes a long way as long as you keep the lid on, otherwise it's quite volitile and evaporates quite readily.
that's why i buy the 500ml size and top up my little bottles when needed,available here. http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/l ... 500ml.html
Hope that helps
Rick.

Glues for acrylic are not intended for polycarbonate. MEK based glue is basically a solvent and "welds" the acrylic, and some other plastics together.
Polycarbonate can be glued with epoxies, contact adhesives and superglues, even some silicones but its' flexible properties can cause problems and polycarbonate can react to solvents in glue and silicones causing surface crazing and cracks.

It is bonded to other substrates and glass in industrial situations but these are carefully controled and often use heat or UV. Best way is to practice on some scraps and see what happens.

Try Eurocell, I'm sure there'll be a branch local to you. Ask for Soudal FixAll Crystal Clear. It's about £5 a tube. Just pop it in a skeleton gun. It's excellent stuff and will even work applied under water! Oh, and the nozzle is resealable so it'll last ages.

Thanks all

The plan has changed slightly today as the parts that were going to be bonded on may need removing from time to time so looks some bolts and something like clear silicone will be best.

Back