glue blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
When using a glued block on a bowl or box blank, is there any particular reason why 'hot glue' is usually referred to? And is this the old 'glue pot' stuff or using a glue gun? Is there any reason why the old 'Resin W' PVA glue can't be used?, apart from the fact that it needs to be left overnight.

It refers to a hot glue gun. It is much quicker and easier both to fix and remove. You can, with care turn very large pieces with it. It is also good for turning pieces that have awkward shapes or surfaces like burrs.

pete

Thanks Pete, I thought there was a particular reason why hot glue was used, as for general woodworking, I have always used PVA glue.

for smaller pieces I seem to remember someone saying that you can de-stick them by putting them in the oven and raising the temperature which re-melts the glue. I may have been dreaming though :)

Miles

miles_hot":1jzecr75 said:
for smaller pieces I seem to remember someone saying that you can de-stick them by putting them in the oven and raising the temperature which re-melts the glue. I may have been dreaming though :)

Miles

You can but in my experience the glue peels away quite easy. If you use a loose grain wood like pine for a sacrificial block sometimes the glue will pull that off a bit but I've never yet had a problem getting it off after use.
If you use it make sure that the glue is hot enough to drip off the end of the nozzle before using though.
pete

Can I put in a novice's input on this one please.

Having had a rather unsatisfactory introduction to screw chucks - splitting wood, not gripping and so on - I decided to explore glue chucks, and am all in favour of them.

Now it may well be that there are more expensive and hence better (?) hot glue guns than the cheap one I got out of Lidls which has the weakness of melting the wax sticks a little bit ad infinitum. This results in discs of waste glue accumulating on the rest. On the basis of not wasting anything, I now gather these up, cut them into small bits (typically 4) and melt them in situ on the chuck with the hot air gun, which has the bonus of course of heating the chuck too and therefore giving just that bit more 'open time' to position the work piece.

Once the turning is finished I just batter the joint with an ordinary chisel and mallet to split away the workpiece - the glue seems to have more than adequate strength in sheer, but little as a butt joint.

Rob

Back